GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 2001 1500 HD Transmission Temp

I bought a 2001 1500HD crew cab 4X4 about 6 months ago. The guy I bought it from said the transmission was rebuilt within the year I bought it but could not produce receipts. I live in Southeast Texas and as the temperature warmed up for summer my transmission started heating up. If I sit in idle for any length of time the transmission heats up (to about 190) and when I start driving again it shifts hard between all gears. Does any one know at what temperature the transmission should be operating? I have gotten mixed answers anywhere from 140 to 180. Would the rising temperature cause this problem? Also, has anyone installed aftermarket transmission coolers and have a recommended brand? Someone also recommended a deeper pan. Any recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by dgallions View Post
    I bought a 2001 1500HD crew cab 4X4 about 6 months ago. The guy I bought it from said the transmission was rebuilt within the year I bought it but could not produce receipts. I live in Southeast Texas and as the temperature warmed up for summer my transmission started heating up. If I sit in idle for any length of time the transmission heats up (to about 190) and when I start driving again it shifts hard between all gears. Does any one know at what temperature the transmission should be operating? I have gotten mixed answers anywhere from 140 to 180. Would the rising temperature cause this problem? Also, has anyone installed aftermarket transmission coolers and have a recommended brand? Someone also recommended a deeper pan. Any recommendations? Thanks for your help.
    In the Owners Manual, it States the Normal Operating Transmission Temp. Range is Between....100 to 265 Degrees.......Below is a link where I installed an Aftermarket Transmission Cooler....and I also installed a Aftermarket Aluminum Finned Deep Transmission Pan.....Both Aftermarket Parts I've just mentioned have Helped Big Time!! with Reducing my Transmission Temperatures when Towing.

Link to True Cool 40K Transmission Cooler installed,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/f17...ler-wow-70799/
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 09-27-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

Right on. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by dgallions View Post
    Right on. Thanks for the info.
    Glad to help.....I'll say it again....Installing the True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler......has been 1 of the Best Upgrades/Mod I've done to my Truck, to Help when Towing my Boat!!
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 09-27-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN