GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Rough Country Levelling Kit

I have been reading some of your posts and it seems that everyone likes the Rough Country leveling kits. My question is which kit are you guys always raving about. I did some research and I found the Strut extension leveling kit, it is $69.99. Is this the right kit, it just seems kinda low price. Which kit is everyone using and what size lift would be best for my truck? I have a 2008 Silverado 1500, with stock 17" alloy wheels.
    Dave V. -- Riverside, California
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

I'd go with a ReadyLift leveling kit. RoughCountry has a past history of qualitly and engineering issues.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

I don't know anything about Rough Country, but I've heard things about their lack of reliability. I just ordered a Truxxx leveling kit and it should be arriving any day now, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I only paid $110 for it so we will see! I was going to go with Readylift, but an extra $100 isn't easy for a struggling college student to spare lol
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

We understand the struggling student part!

I'm certainly no fan of Rough Country's, but their leveling kit is fine. It's cheap, easy to install, and I've heard of zero quality issues with them. It's just a spacer after all. IMO, there's absolutely no need to spend a bunch of money on a leveling kit becuase they all accomplish the same thing.

I have to agree with Blackout07. I've been researching leveling kits vs. lift kits for some time now trying to decide what to do with my '11 Silverado. I just hate the nose down look and feel. I was concerned regarding Rough Country's Leveling kit spacer construction but i found they are made of a fibergalss reinforced hard polymer similar to carbon fiber knife handles, very strong (there is another post in the forum regarding this). I called rough country to find out what they were actually made of also, just to see if the stories meshed. All in all, like Blackout said, its just a spacer. Ease of Installation sold it for me. No removal of the coil-over assembly.

Anyway, i pulled the trigger and purchased the leveling kit directly from Rough Country for $65. It arrives tomorrow. I'll update with install and before/after pics when i get it installed, if you would like to see it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bwilloby46; 09-20-2011 at 10:12 PM.

2011 Silverado Extended Cab LTZ 4x4 - Black on Black
    5.3 V8

K&N Aircharger
    Corsa Sport Stainless Exhaust - Dual 4" swept side exit
    Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit
    20% Tint
    Spray-In Bedliner
    More to come.....

Other Cars:
    87' Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by bwilloby46 View Post
    I have to agree with Blackout07. I've been researching leveling kits vs. lift kits for some time now trying to decide what to do with my '11 Silverado. I just hate the nose down look and feel. I was concerned regarding Rough Country's Leveling kit spacer construction but i found they are made of a fibergalss reinforced hard polymer similar to carbon fiber knife handles, very strong (there is another post in the forum regarding this). I called rough country to find out what they were actually made of also, just to see if the stories meshed. All in all, like Blackout said, its just a spacer. Ease of Installation sold it for me. No removal of the coil-over assembly.

Anyway, i pulled the trigger and purchased the leveling kit directly from Rough Country for $65. It arrives tomorrow. I'll update with install and before/after pics when i get it installed, if you would like to see it.

Thanks!

Yes please update with pics, that would be great. I would love to see it.

Default Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit

Got the kit installed last night. Took little over an hour for both sides. Didn't follow the directions supplied by Rough COuntry at all. Too many unnecessay steps and i am always leary about jacking with the front ball joints. Just dont like it. So....I put the truck up on stands, removed both front tires. Then loosened the sway bar bolts on both sides, leaving the nut on by a few threads. Removed the bolts and clips on the lower strut assembly from the lower control arm. After the strut was free, just pushed down on the rotor whil inserting the spacers form the back side. Took a little finaling with a pry bar to line everything up, but was pretty easy to do. Torqued everything back up to 37/ft lbs and lug nuts to 140/ft lbs. Have absolutely no difference in ride at all and definitely feel like i am a lot higher in the truck. I took before and after measurements from tire to wheel well (no pictures of that, sorry). Before was about 5 7/8 on both sides. Now its sitting at 7 13/16. So its almost a full 2 inches. Definitely looks better. I will be getting it realigned soon. WHat do you think?

BEFORE:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-09-22_17-37-27_710.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	30373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-09-22_17-37-58_481.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	30374

AFTER:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-09-23_10-20-31_511.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	30378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-09-23_10-20-54_781.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	30379

Ive got the rough country kit on my truck, no complaint here, and its very easy to install
    2008 TAHOE LT, volant powercore, superchips programmer

Do you check the torque on them often or did you only do it once after install around 500 mile mark?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by