GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default 04 tahoe z71 right rear spark plug

has anyone found a way to get the plug on pass side rear? firewall bends right up in front of it

I remember that it is a pain. I think that I was able to get to it with the sparkplug socket and a ratching, flex-end wrench. Or, was it with a universal joint between the socket and the ratchet. Or, was it a flex head ratchet. I forget. I have headers now, but it is still a pain. I know that I was able to get the torque wrench in there for the proper torque. I remember screaming, crying, cursing, kicking the wall, but Perserverance paid off. I was drained, but felt some pride in being able to get it done. My wife had to go shopping to get away. She is very sensitive to my ranting.
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

try turning your wheels all the way to the left, and going through your wheel well. If that doesn't help, i believe i use a flex head ratchet with a one inch extension, with a deep well socket.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

Get a spark plug socket that has a octagon end (the end where a rachet would normally go) and use with a open end wrench.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Sr. Apprentice

I feel your pain. I had to take my tire off, remove the splash shield from the inner fender and basically crawl into the cavity from under neath. I also had to remove the splash shield from the A/C unit which is just an aluminum piece that keeps the water from spraying onto the exhaust manifold. I will NEVER replace my own plugs again! It was real nice of the engineers to build the vortec heads so that the spark plugs enter the cylinder at a slight rearward angle too. That makes getting this particular plug out and back in a real bear. I am sure with a vehicle lift it isn't that big of job.. in my driveway however it took me 6 hours since the plug wires themselves didn't want to come off either... who puts springs in a spark plug boot.. that would be GM!

red i believe the aluminum boot protectors and the springs are a good idea. Because I believe it helps dissipate the heat, which in turn makes the wires, and boots last longer.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"