GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Locking Lugs

Default Locking Lugs

Quite a while ago, my cousin and I each bought a set of locking lug nuts from AutoZone. He got to putting his on before I did mine. When he was putting the very first one on, the "key" broke, so his tire is now stuck on with no key to get it off. The key is an actual socket with a PLASTIC insert that forms the key part. Are there any locking lug sets out there that are made of 100% metal anymore? I don't want this stupid sh*t happeneing to me if I put the lug nuts on. Thanks
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

My Suburban came with a set from Gorilla Automotive Products. The key is all metal, and has held up just fine to repeated use. The only thing I worry about is losing the key.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Jr. Mechanic

I wouldn't put that on my truck either!! Mine is from McGuard, it's all metal and has held up just fine!!
    '88 Jimmy 4X4
    5.3l L59/ 4L60E Tuned by Tad
    4" Lift 33" BFG. Custom Brush Guard, KCs, outside spare, Oil pan guard etc.

Blog Entries

I have a set of Gorilla's on my Silverado, and on my Blazer. All metal and work great!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

plactic key? no way i cant believe theyd even sell that, mine are all metal, every set i have, and a little trick too remember is never use the gun when taking the lock nut off! always use the bar! i talk from experience, not me personally but a guy in my shop class stripedd the key(the only one thing that can happen with metal).

my uncle was actually the one putting the locking lugs on my cousin's truck, since my cousin is "manual-labor retarded", also known as lazy. He was using either the factory tire wrench, or a 4-way of the appropriate size, and that's what freaked me out so much. If you can produce enough torque with your own hands to break the key, and still not have reached the appropriate torque for the nut, you've got one crappy product... I'll check out the gorilla and mcguard locking lugs.

EDIT: upon looking at the gorrilla locks site, it looks like I need the acorn bulge style, as I have the factory aluminum wheels, and I see the appropriate lug nuts, but I dont see the bulge acorn locking lugs. Will the normal acorn locking lugs do?
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 09-07-2007 at 07:52 AM.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage