GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 2005 Silverado LS 2x2 4-door crew cab - few maintenance questions

hey everyone, I'm planning on changing my oil today. Feel like taking full advantage of this beautiful weather we're having down here.

anyhow, my truck.. which is a 2005 Silverado with the 5.3 V8. I've got exactly 102k miles on her now.. and have been very impressed and happy with the trucks reliability and performance. Except for the all too well known and famous 'steering knock noise' that all Silverado owners know about.. and for the ones that don't.. well, you soon will.

anyways, I was just wondering what brand/type of engine oil you guys would recommend for my truck.. with having over 100k on her now. She's of course a daily driver.. and I've been using Mobil '1' 10W-30 with a K&N Oil filter to complete the fluid change. However, I'm wanting to try a different type/brand of oil.. and I thought I would see what you guys might suggest using.

Should I stick with the Mobil '1' synthetic?? What do you guys recommend??

Thanks in advance for anyone that helps!

peace and have a great weekend everyone!

I know I'll have a great weekend.. with this beautiful weather plus we've got the air show at the airport AND the annual 'Fair' is here as well.. so there's alot to go out and do this weekend.. but as usual, I'll be spending most of the weekend cleaning and doing maintenance on my truck.. like I do almost every weekend.

anyhow, once again.. thanks in advance for any advice/help/suggestions!

-Mike

I myself also have Mobile 1 synthetic. I hear royal purple is a high quality oil. Where exactly do you live? I also have the fair in town and an air show near me as well such a weird coincidence.

I'm running with Valvoline Max Life 5/30 Full Synthetic......also with your Truck hitting 100K Miles......and not knowing what all Maintenance you've done, I'll mention to take look at the following,
    ......All Hoses and Belts and replace if needed
    .....Check and if needed Flush the Fluids....Sterring....Brake....Trans.....etc.
    ......New plugs/wires if Needed.....with A/C Delco Plugs(Iridium) tip
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-01-2011 at 12:57 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

your already using the best oil out there, why change it up? if i had to use anything other than mobile1 it would be castrol syntec. royal purple is top notch but hardly worth the price for chevy engine.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelChevy View Post
    your already using the best oil out there, why change it up? if i had to use anything other than mobile1 it would be castrol syntec. royal purple is top notch but hardly worth the price for chevy engine.
    At my Local O'Reilly's Auto Part outlet.......Royal Purple 5/30 Full Syntheic.....is Priced at......$9.99 a Quart.......and the Following 5/30 Full Syntheic Motor Oil's are Also priced at....$9.99 per Quart.......Valvoline MaX Life........Moibil 1........Castrol Edge........Pennzoil.........

How every you look at it Motor Oil is getting....$$$ Expensive!!.......Depending on where someone lives and where they buy their Motor Oil......All of these Motor Oil's can be bought at a lower price per Quart.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-01-2011 at 05:34 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN