GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Baffled with no reverse

OK, I have a 94 Suburban C1500. I was driving the truck and parked it for about 45 minutes. I went to make a 3 point turn the truck backed up about 2 car lengths and I pulled forward put in reverse and nothing. This is where is starts to get weird...I put the truck in neutral and tried to push it backwards again nothing we were unable to push the truck backwards. I pulled it forward again into a parking space and then tried again this time is went back with hesitation. I drove it home (about 6 miles) got into the driveway and again no reverse.

My initial thought was since there were no bangs, no noises, no whines it must be something other than the trans so I started to look at the brakes thinking maybe one of the hold down springs broke loose and was locking the breaks when we put the truck in reverse. This would also account for why it wouldn't roll backwards in neutral. Upon removing the rear drums I found the RH axle seal leaking but all the hardware was in good shape.

I opened the differential to pull both axles to replace the seals and noticed that I could spin the ring gear forward but not backwards. The fluid was still relatively full and I found no shavings or chips in the housing (the magnet hardly had any residue on it). The ring gear looked great with a good wear pattern and no damage.

My next attempt was to pull the drive shaft and noticed the following. If I turn the drive shaft I can spin the pinion gear in both directions but if I turn the axles I can only move them forward. Once force is applied to both axles moving rearward all movement stops dead.

I've had the truck for 2 years and I knew the person I bought it from. The truck had a the trans rebuilt installed 6 months before I purchased it. The trans fluid looks fine not shavings or burnt smell. The rebuilt has about 36K miles on it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would disconnect the driveshaft and see if the Axle is binding or if it is something in the transfer case!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend
    Blog Entries

I know you have low miles on an overhauled tranny but the quality of the work may not have been up to par. That is what happened to me on my first rebuild. Cheap parts and a shoddy install only got me 75K. I have a transmission guy tell me that the reverse gear is usually first to go. I can tell the future - I am a psychotic - I see a transmission overhaul in your future. I hope I am wrong but.............
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac View Post
    I know you have low miles on an overhauled tranny but the quality of the work may not have been up to par. That is what happened to me on my first rebuild. Cheap parts and a shoddy install only got me 75K. I have a transmission guy tell me that the reverse gear is usually first to go. I can tell the future - I am a psychotic - I see a transmission overhaul in your future. I hope I am wrong but.............
    I was thinking that to but best to troubleshoot.. Oh and on the 4l60E they crap the reverse out then OD.. great fun
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend
    Blog Entries

The last time my tranny soiled the bed linens I was going to Charlotte to pick up my step-son at the airport. Half way there I lost overdrive, then 3rd gear. The transmission shop said usually reverse goes first too! I guess I was unlucky. I would have traded third for reverse any day.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford