GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas Mileage

Legend
    Blog Entries

Also not to sound to harsh but without filling the tank back up and calculating the milage we cannot really tell you how bad or good the milage has been. That is what any shop will want to know is the actual fuel consumption not just i have 180 miles on this tank, and it will need to be figured for a longer period of time (usually 3 tanks for a nice average)
    Once you have that number, then you can go from there. Also take that TB spacer off, it is hurting more than helping with the LS Series Vortec motors.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I'm going to go another Route here.......At this Point in order to Get a Better Picture of what Kind of Fuel Mileage your Truck is Getting......would be the Fix the Broking Speedometer.....it would be fairly Simple, Once again as I mentioned above.....the problem is most likely with the stepper motor, for the Speedometer has broke,

The Stepper motor's can be bought on E-Bay.....they cost around......$4 or $5 for one and if you know how to Solder, your all set.

Chevy stepper Motor Silverado Cluster | eBay

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

The best way to check your mileage is to fill the truck up and record your mileage. Then the next time you fill up, record the mileage and the amount of gas it takes to refuel. The volume of gas divided by the miles driven. A full tank is fairly repeatable. A gas gauge is not. Also, the longer the distance, the better the average.

A coin toss should always result in a 50% average over time. If you flip it twice and it is heads both times, you do not get a true picture of the average. So be it with the average gas mileage. The smaller the sample, the less accurate the average.

I can see the difference between driving 65 and 70 on the interstate because I fill my 42 gallon tank and clear the trip odometer. And then fill her back up when it is time for gas. It works out to be one to 2 miles per gallon.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

I went to replace my spark plugs about 6 months ago, when I went to pull the wire off, the wires broke at the boot leaving the boot over the spark plug. I replaced them with ACDelco spark plug wires and NKG Spark plugs gapped at .060.

I have my truck tuned by a 30005 Hypertech to run 93 Octane with shift points changed in the following order; 1-2 gear, 3mph above stock; 2-3 gear, 5mph above stock; 3-4 gear, 5mph above stock. I also increased the rev limiter to 5400 rpms as well as transmission shift firmness increased.

Tomorrow I will fill up with 87 Octane, tune in to run 87 Octane, with all shift points 1mph above stock, rev limiter set back to stock and leave trans shift firmness like it is.

I do 45-65 depending on the speed limit to work which ranges from 2 miles to 45 miles away mostly highway with between 2-8 stop signs and 1-6 red lights. I don't punch it on take off, but do somewhat punch it to pass school buses, and old people.

It did start showing up the knock sensor code about a month ago and diagrams are saying my knock sensors are beneath my headers, but I can't locate them on the 99 5.3 and I'm thinking they are under the intake.

Sorry for the delayed resonses as someone broke into my house and stole my laptop, digital camera, gps, and about 600$ in cash...idiots didn't bother to take my 1200$ Browning Auto 5 shotgun, my deer rifle, my Glock 9mm or my Smith and Wesson Sigma, OR THE BEER.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    I'm going to go another Route here.......At this Point in order to Get a Better Picture of what Kind of Fuel Mileage your Truck is Getting......would be the Fix the Broking Speedometer.....it would be fairly Simple, Once again as I mentioned above.....the problem is most likely with the stepper motor, for the Speedometer has broke,

The Stepper motor's can be bought on E-Bay.....they cost around......$4 or $5 for one and if you know how to Solder, your all set.

Chevy stepper Motor Silverado Cluster | eBay
    Oh, its the odometer, not the speedometer. I didn't realize this thread broke into 2 pages.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    I went to replace my spark plugs about 6 months ago, when I went to pull the wire off, the wires broke at the boot leaving the boot over the spark plug. I replaced them with ACDelco spark plug wires and NKG Spark plugs gapped at .060.

I have my truck tuned by a 30005 Hypertech to run 93 Octane with shift points changed in the following order; 1-2 gear, 3mph above stock; 2-3 gear, 5mph above stock; 3-4 gear, 5mph above stock. I also increased the rev limiter to 5400 rpms as well as transmission shift firmness increased.

Tomorrow I will fill up with 87 Octane, tune in to run 87 Octane, with all shift points 1mph above stock, rev limiter set back to stock and leave trans shift firmness like it is.

I do 45-65 depending on the speed limit to work which ranges from 2 miles to 45 miles away mostly highway with between 2-8 stop signs and 1-6 red lights. I don't punch it on take off, but do somewhat punch it to pass school buses, and old people.

It did start showing up the knock sensor code about a month ago and diagrams are saying my knock sensors are beneath my headers, but I can't locate them on the 99 5.3 and I'm thinking they are under the intake.

Sorry for the delayed resonses as someone broke into my house and stole my laptop, digital camera, gps, and about 600$ in cash...idiots didn't bother to take my 1200$ Browning Auto 5 shotgun, my deer rifle, my Glock 9mm or my Smith and Wesson Sigma, OR THE BEER.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Oh, its the odometer, not the speedometer. I didn't realize this thread broke into 2 pages.

The Vortec Engines Run-n-Perform Better when A/C Delco Plugs are installed........the ones you want are the A/C Delco Iridium Tip Plugs......Which Are Gaped At......0.40 Right Out Of the Box, Check the Gap, But Do Not Attempt to Changed the Gap!!, As the Tips can and in Most can be Easily Damaged.

Got ya.....on it being the Odometer, and not the Speedometer, either way it needs to be Fixed, to get a Better Idea on what your Fuel Mileage is??......and the other Reason you should get the Odometer Fixed......with respect......its Illegally for the Odometer Not to be Working.

Sorry that read your Home was Broken into and the items you mentioned above your stolen......But I would be Thankfully that the ( Idiots) did Not Take any of your Weapons??.......but that's just me.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-09-2011 at 10:25 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I'm with most people on this, the only accurate way to measure fuel mileage is a full tank, working odometer and original tire size.
    Adam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12