GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question increasing low end torque

I am looking for ways to increase the low end to mid range torque on my 2005 silverado LS 4x4. I pull a 4500lb camper. some of my research both on the internet and from feedback from here; a cold air intake works best at the higher RPMs. My plan is to get a tuner. Now for my question; would cat back exhaust help with the lower torque? would headers with a dual exhaust be better. Sorry, I am just trying to get as much info as possible before spending my money. To get the best possible results.
    Thank you,
    Bill

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

In general there isn't any simple easy add on to increase low end torque.It is the Holy Grail-.
    The OEM engineers have pretty much selected cams/heads/exhaust/intake tuning to do just that already.

Increasing low end torque means getting more mixture in at a given RPM and or extracting more energy from a given combustion chamber full of mixture.

In general the cam has already been optimized for low midrange torque.
    Raise compression- yes it will increase torque- BUT YOU NEED HIGHER OCTANE AND IT INVOLVES A MOTOR PULL DOWN AND EXPENSIVE PARTS- IT WILL WORK, but not cheap or easy.

Bore or stroke the motor-works- but expensive

Nitrous oxide- good for very short bursts and hard on your motor- not practical for towing
    Turbo or supercharger- expensive+ requires higher octane.

Longer tube smaller diameter headers- hurts peak power- no one will make a low HP header

CAI- as you say- strictly high rpm power-same story for most exhausts systems.

It is always the same story- we want more low end-USEFUL- power- but there isn't a cheap practical way to get it
    Switch to a 6. liter SB- maybe the best way-fair amount of work- maybe $2000 if you DIY and find a good salvage low mile motor

Charlie
    CAI HEADERS CAMS- generally a waste of money if you want increased low end power.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Charlie,
    Thank you very much for the info. I am starting to learn that most of the after market add on's only seem to benefit much at the higher RPM range. which is impracticial, especially when towing a camper.

What size gears are running u can step up ur gears a couple it will help with low end but it might bring diwn ur mpg but ur transmission will be happier when it is hauling the trailer

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

I am running I believe the 3:42's. I talked to a couple of local garages about changing the gears. Actually, that was my first Idea before I found this website. The cost of doing that was very high. They agreed that my tranmission would be very happy, my wallet, not so much. But it is not out of the question; Yet. Thank you for your advice.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by meandmyharley61 View Post
    I am running I believe the 3:42's. I talked to a couple of local garages about changing the gears. Actually, that was my first Idea before I found this website. The cost of doing that was very high. They agreed that my tranmission would be very happy, my wallet, not so much. But it is not out of the question; Yet. Thank you for your advice.
    Bill
    Bill to know for sure what Gears you have.....Inside your Glove Box is a White Sticker, which is your.....Service Parts ID Tag.....and on it you will see your Trucks Vin Number # and Series of Letters and Numbers those are RPO Codes which stands for.....Regular Production Options.....In short what your Truck came with from the Factory.

You will be looking for the one Following,
    GU5........3.23
    GU6........3.42
    GT4........3.73
    GT5........4.10

and if you have G80....that is the AXLE POSI-TRACTION, LIMITED SLIP
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 11-01-2011 at 08:44 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

If you do have 3.42 gears I would save up for some 3.73 or 4.10 gears depending on your tire size and trailer weight. I do have to disagree with Charlie about cams. If you do your gears and you still want more torque there are cams that make more bottom end torque. I would call the cam manufactures and get there recommendation. Crane has a nice cam for the 5.3 that makes lots of bottom end torque.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

here is an update; I put on dual exhaust, K&N stock filter replacement. I purchased a Diablo predator power tuner and using the 93 octane tune. together they have made a pretty good difference. I have also contacted some people that can write some different tunes; working on some options there. also, contacted crane cams about a couple of different cam options. I have the 3:42 gears and the G80 rear axle. I think I have a pretty good start and hopefully headed in the right direction.
    bill knapp

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Like you and others say- lower gearing will sure work- but probably $1000 per end at least. The 3.73 won't really hurt FE much.

Cam manufacturers used to make "tow cams" but my memory is they added very little and it was usually at 2600+RPMS which is a tiny bit higher than you would like to be turning, but maybe OK for towing. Maybe they are more clever with the cams now and can actually beat the OEM engineers .
    The OEM engineers are usually very good maxing low RPM torque/HP-maybe they leave a little on the table since they don't want to have much overlap(sending unburned fuel out the exhaust valve-hurting FE-Still I doubt there is much left to take cam/low rpm TORQUE WISE.Maybe they can jack the valves openfaster-steeper ramp on cam,and drop them faster-making wear more of a concern??

Guess I have gotten old-I used to love adding performance- now gearing and a bigger "better" motor always seem to be best/cheapest.I bet your bolts on would fit a bigger OEM SB- 6.0 OR 6.2 ?? I wonder if that 6.2 bolts in-with its wiring harness and ECU MANIFOLDS ETC??
    Charlie

Blog Entries

sorry, I ain't got a thing on this ...I do enjoy the reading as we tow a small trailer and will upgrade
    some day.....p.s....I also want a GM club sticker for the most posts !!!!
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by