GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1994 Suburban brake lights / multifunction switch

1994 Suburban with brake lights that worked twice after I replaced the brake light switch. Am checking the trailer wiring and the ground, but see a lot of reference to the multi-function switch. I've got cruise control (which works) and turn signals (they DO NOT self cancel any more), and the rest of the lights work (flashers, running lights, etc.). In researching, it seems that the multi-function switch can affect the brake lights, but I cannot figure how to test that without taking a bunch of stuff apart.

Also, not sure which switch I need as some posts indicate the part costs $300 (multi-switch for cruise / tilt wheel / wipers), and others say $70.00.

Any feedback / guidance is greatly appreciated as I really want to fix this on my own.
    What do you mean you can't put 11 surfboards in your truck?

Mass = Safety

Checking with a tester last night, no power at the fuse box which would indicate something wrong with the power lead (white wire). Before I take off the steering whell and take apart the steering column, wondering if there is an easy way to jump the wire to test that, and where do you jump to?

Many thanks.

Have you checked to see if you've blown a fuse? It's not hard to pinch a wire when you replace that switch, what with taking the retaining clip off and removing the connecting rod to the brake booster from the pedal.
    If all the rest of the lights work, it's probably not in the multi-function switch. If the information I looked at is correct, your truck has the old fashioned turn signal switch, which means you can replace the cancel springs without having to replace the whole switch in order to get your turn signals to cancel again, but that should have nothing to do with your brake lamp problem.
    Good Luck and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Revredneck View Post
    Have you checked to see if you've blown a fuse? It's not hard to pinch a wire when you replace that switch, what with taking the retaining clip off and removing the connecting rod to the brake booster from the pedal.
    If all the rest of the lights work, it's probably not in the multi-function switch. If the information I looked at is correct, your truck has the old fashioned turn signal switch, which means you can replace the cancel springs without having to replace the whole switch in order to get your turn signals to cancel again, but that should have nothing to do with your brake lamp problem.
    Good Luck and God Bless
    I did sir, and thank you! I'm going to try to adjust per your recommendation and mess with it a bit more this weekend. Thanks very much for taking the time to help out!