GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes, I have suggestions for ya.

First, hows the crime rate in your neighborhood?
    The louder your exhaust is, the more people know exactly what time you leave and get home.
    Second, what about longevity, Wisconsin, do they put salt down ?

We'll, I live in a fairly high crime rate area and lots of salt, so I went with a mellow sound and all stainless parts and pipes.
    Two replacement SS cats, and SS Magna flow muffler (2) 2-1/2" in and one 3" out I think. (All welded.)

I could have gone with duel out, the installer said he may have to neck the tail pipes down to 2-1/4" to channel to the drivers side (around the shock) and have them match.

All said and done, I'm glad I went with the 3" single tail pipe because its a stronger set-up and less hangers.
    It sounds great, very low mellow, most people think its a big block.
    That was about 8yrs ago, still strong.

An $1,100 investment I don't regret.....and no break inns yet.

I have the same truck and I'm working on doing an engine swap. I was trying, if money allows, to also change the exhaust. Headers back, no cats. Hows the fuel mileage for you all vs stock?

Nathan

Hows the fuel mileage for you all vs stock?

That was a long while ago, so I'm used to how it is, but if I remember, there was a small up-tick in mileage.
    The best she gets is 12mpg highway keeping to 65mph, but its also a 3/4 ton, so the frame & suspension may be a little heavier, I think around 6500lbs.

My burb is a 97 w/5.7L, not nearly as efficient in mileage or power compared to the modern 6L.
    In my state of MA, 97's are now exempt from emissions testing, if that were the case back then, I would have never sprang for (2) cats, they were expensive.

I'm not qualified to say for sure, but you might want to consult a good exhaust professional before going ahead, a muffler does more than just quiet the exhaust, as I believe some back pressure is good thing (best way I can put it).

I'm getting conflicting opinions. I have heard that the back pressure is a good thing too. I have a cold air intake on it but don't want to spend a bunch on the exhaust and have mpg go down.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post

I almost forgot my rig is a 1999 K2500 8600gvw Suburban with a 7.4L 454 and 4:10 in the front and 4:56 in the rear.

Thanks,
    Wags
    Not to highjack the thread, but how are you running 2 different gear ratios and not shredding the T-case or other components? Did you just not want to pay to have the front done and never put it in 4x4?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

6. Likes cmcolfax liked this post

I bought the truck new in 99 it came from the factory set up that way??? And it works great in four wheel drive! I have been perplexed since Ive owned it myself.

Back pressure is a good thing from a low end torque aspect. Having the mufflers as opposed to no mufflers also helps with fuel mileage in my experience. No mufflers gives you better top end performance, but sacrifices a couple mpg's.
    Chuckie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Not to highjack the thread, but how are you running 2 different gear ratios and not shredding the T-case or other components? Did you just not want to pay to have the front done and never put it in 4x4?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    I bought the truck new in 99 it came from the factory set up that way??? And it works great in four wheel drive! I have been perplexed since Ive owned it myself.
    I know I am new here... but not to wrenching or vehicle forums... Been doing Jeeps for 15+ years...

That being said, no way in hell you are running 4.56's and 4.10's without tearing something up...

I would double check...

My research in to 96-99/2500/454/14-bolt Burbs showed 4.10's as deepest gear ratio.

Not being a dick... just want you to know what you have... and not break stuff.

-cmc-
    Some stuff with wheels and motors...

Just got my 99 k1500 slt, im not sure exactly if my cats are bad but my guess at 141k miles there still OE, if the codes do pan out to be the cats Im wondering if anyone has installed either of these brands of stainless? Or possibly with went a single outlet?

EvanFischer? Is that a good brand?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...FWUV7Aod13YAcg

or this

Bosal

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/079-...l/ada84SX3YItd
    I like my bikes like my women, fast, dirty and cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12