GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Master Mechanic

Default Ram Air Hood on Chevy Silverado

I was looking at this hood for my 03 Silverado. Thinking of keeping it blue and maybe getting silver painted right on the edge of the openings. What do you guys think? Also they make a air box for it so you get the ram air function but I believe my K&N CAI is good enough right? Thanks guys Keystone Restyling GHG-117 - Keystone Restyling Twin Scoop Hoods - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Good looking hood, it would be a nice addition. Not sure about making the ram air functional though, may be more hassle than it's worth if it's a DD. Bad weather may cause problems.
    Adam

I've seen a couple of trucks around with those types of hoods. Usually presents a mean and pretty aggressive look to the front end. Not sure about the air box issue but it would make sense.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

So it is a functional ram air hood? Does it come painted for that price? Seems kind of pricey. Not sure if you like this look but it's a lot cheaper: StyleLine Cowl Hood Primered, Steel, Ram air cowl, Direct fit
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

I like it, but as Adam said I'd stay away from the funtional scoop, I've seen them soak a air filter which is near the MAF.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Master Mechanic

Yeah its functional, and no it is not painted. Its a fiberglass hood, ready to be painted. Im not a fan of the one scoop because of how high it sits up on the windshield. I screwed my hood up buffing (the bolt on the sander polisher came lose and messed up the side) so was hopping to just replace it with this

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

What do you guys think about these two cowl hoods then? Im leaning towards the second OER T70681 - OER Authorized Hoods - Overview - SummitRacing.com Harwood B-50101 - Harwood Fiberglass Show Series Bolt-On Hoods - Overview - SummitRacing.com

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have that keystone ram air hood on my 05' silverado, and I also have the ram air box for it. I can tell you that it really sucks in the air now, I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it on my edge programmer. The MAF reads almost 3 times the airflow now then it did stock, I haven't had it dynoed but I can tell a difference. I drove it all last year and had no problems with rain snow sleet or hail, BUT it has a huge design flaw that I found this summer!!!!!!! The underside has two holes drilled in it for water drainage that comes through the scoops while driving, when you open the hood gallons of water get trapped inside the scoops and it just pours out all over the engine. It was so bad that it actually froze over the winter, and the heat from the engine melted it fast and it popped the paint right off the side of the hood. I had to repaint and drill more holes in the underneath to fix this problem, other than that I am happy lol!

Master Mechanic

Thats good to hear, im now looking at the cowl hood from Harwood. It seems pretty nice