GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GM Goodwrench crate 350, or GM Performance 290/350? 86 K10 Engine swap.

I was wondering if anybody has seen these 2 motor's in action, in person. I need a daily driver, that'll pull good. I've already narrowed it down to these 2 motor's, but I don't know anybody that's seen them in person. I'm putting it in my: 1986 K10 Saginaw 4 speed, to replace my wore out 200k, 305. Anybody know which is better for daily work? Thank's for any information.
    The first time you spin out, is very special. You'll be very scared, and freeze. And the whole time, you'll be thinking: "PLEASE GOD, DON'T LET A COP SEE THIS!!!!." And you'll swear you'll never do it again, and run home to hide the truck, till the heat's off.... But in a little while, you'll be going by to see the damage you did to the grass, and bank, that you did when you went up it. And a little while.. You'll be pulling out, white knuckled again.

id get the straight 350 myself, but thats me. parts are everywhere and cheap as heck cause theres so many of em.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    id get the straight 350 myself, but thats me. parts are everywhere and cheap as heck cause theres so many of em.

Alex
    The only difference between the base 350 and the 290 hp are the cam and the pistons, everything else is the same. I swapped the 290 hp motor into my 78 GMC K1500 2 years ago, and don't regret it a bit. It's not a total powerhouse, but puts out alot more power than my stock 400 did. I drive the truck daily and often tow a 20 ft flatbed. It's a great reliable motor.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Thank's everybody. I think I'm gonna go with the 290/350 with a Lunati cam hehe.
    The first time you spin out, is very special. You'll be very scared, and freeze. And the whole time, you'll be thinking: "PLEASE GOD, DON'T LET A COP SEE THIS!!!!." And you'll swear you'll never do it again, and run home to hide the truck, till the heat's off.... But in a little while, you'll be going by to see the damage you did to the grass, and bank, that you did when you went up it. And a little while.. You'll be pulling out, white knuckled again.