GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 4l60-e problem

Default 4l60-e problem

just started expiriencing a bad slippage while trying to accelerate. My truck will shift hard to second, and then the rpms will shoot up at about 25mph. Engine light came on as well. The truck popped the P0742 code for the [Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stuck On]. Could it be a problem with the torque converter itself, or just the switch? I only have about 90k on my truck. With some towing through mountains. Its a 2004 1500. Any help would be appreciated. Ive searched for a while on the internet, and havent come up with anything worth sticking to.

I think someone else on the site had a simular issue awhile back and it was a switch.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

I have a 2002 chevy tahoe 5.3 vortec with 4l60e tranny. These transmissions have always been a big problem for General Motors. Mine did the same thing yours is doing right now before it completly went out.My mechanic who is also a close friend did a heavy duty rebuild on mine. He says he have done over a hundred rebuilds on 4l60e's . He say they put bad parts in them at the factory. I have another friend who's transmission just went out this past Friday and guess what kind it is? I can tell you exactly what is going to happen when it goes.My mechanic friend told me this when I first bought the truck.When it change gears and you hear a loud pop and then a whining sound it is gone. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I must be honest.

Legend
    Blog Entries

The 4l60e has whats called a tcc solenoid in the valve body, I would go to the library and use there alldata setup. Print off the diagram for the valve body in your truck, it is right out in the open but there are 3 solenoids that all look the same. Autozone sells those for around $30.00, it's that hard to do if you take your time.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOSE ANY OF THE CHECK BALLS THAT SIT INSIDE THERE, THEY ALL GO BACK IN CERTAIN SPOTS.

I almost forgot with the circuit open that would indicate you have a short in the harness running down to the top of the transmission, or a pin might have backed out or got corroded. It is a 13 pin plug which you squeeze the sides of and pull straight up to get it off the transmission, the tcc ground wire is brown.
    Last edited by TRPLXL2; 10-05-2011 at 07:07 PM.

I never had any problems with the transmission prior to this. No whining or popping. Kind hard shifting when cold but thats it. I went out and ordered a new tcc solenoid. Along with the wire harness. Hope it helps. Also going to replace the upshift and downshift solenoids while im at it. The pan is a real annoyance to get off. At least im not removing the valve body. Also,how much fluid does it lose after u drop the pan? I read somewhere that its 4-5. Just want to be sure. What fluid is the best for that transmission? Thanks for all the help.

Good luck with the solenoids. Hope it's a simple inexpensive fix, which it might be. As for the fluid, depending on the mileage on the current fluid, you might want to have it flushed and refilled with the spec. trans fluid the General calls for. All the clutches and bands are conditioned to the fluid that you've been running in it prior to this "event.'

As preventative maintenance, and with some suggestions from guys here on this website, I upgraded my 60E a couple years ago before I had any problems. I ordered Oregon Performance trans billet servos and a TransGo shift kit. The difference after the install was nothing short of amazing. Interestingly with approx. 115k miles on it when the work was done, each servo had a broken spring in it when disassembled as a data point.

I believe these transmissions are capable of reliable truck duty providing we make the necessary upgrades the factory should have done in the first place.
    It's never really finished...and faster is always better.

2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 Copo
    5.3 K&N CAI Cat Back Flowmaster Duals
    4L60E TransGo kitted w/Oregon Performance HiPo servos
    Rancho suspension lift
    MB V-tec wheels Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Diablo Tune