GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time to replace my engine. what should i go with.

I have a 1983 K20 4x4 with a stock 350. I'm looking at upgrading to either a newer 6.0 or a 6 gen 454. Also what do you guys think I should do with the transmission A/T or M/T? I'm new to Chevy but have been working on Toyota's trucks for years. Also if anyone has done any one of the conversions what should I know about do a project like this before I start.

Legend
    Blog Entries

In your case it would be kind of tricky, mainly that yours is really old school obd1 so I am not familiar with it that far back. I have a firebird that is an obd2 system and I swapped in a obd1 LT1 drivetrain and it's the most reliable thing I own believe it or not. There is nothing to it mechanically, BUT I hope your wiring skills are good because it's quite a job. The most expensive part of an LS engine is the acessories on the front of the engine, and the adapters that would be needed to fit it into your truck. Anything can be done, it just depends on how bad you want it.

I'd go with a 6.0 with a 4L80E transmission. Theres numerous companies that have wiring harness and ECM's.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

What she said.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

What year should I get the 6.0 out of? And is there any one that is better then the other. Also what company has wiring harness and ecu.

Legend
    Blog Entries

As far as wiring I had a horrible experience with PAINLESS WIRING!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the supposed 94-97' LT1 kit which was $800.00 at summit racing, Painless told me it was an exact match to the factory harness which got fried by my long tube headers lol! Well when I got this kit home and opened it up I about screamed, all it amounted to was a universal harness with LT1 connectors on it and a stand alone fuse box and all kinds of crap! I returned it and even the summit racing guy said it was a shoddy kit, I ended up buying a used harness out of a 94' Z28 for $200 and it worked like a charm.

Your better off buying a factory used harness for your engine and modifying for your situation, just my opinion......

Howell Fuel Injection offers very high quality wiring harnesses. If you can get the entire factory harness with the swapped in motor Hot Wire Auto offers a service where you send them the factory harness from your truck and the harness from your swapped in motor and they splice them together and remove any unused plugs and wires. It will be pretty much a plug and play harness.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

There are other options,I went with a crate 383 tbi engine from ATK nice engine for $3300 with 320hp and no wiring problems .

X2 on the Howell Fuel Injection harness. Bill Howell was a engineer at GM that helped design todays f/i system. If you buy a used 6.0 make sure you get a truck 6.0. Make sure you get a 2001 up. '01 is when they went to the LS1 cam. '99 and '00 have the same cam as the 5.3's. Also the trucks 6.0 crank has a thicker real crank flange, where the flywheel bolts to ,than the car cranks.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

How much would a 6.0L cost and where is the best places to look for them? Also should i get the transmission that comes with the engine? Will a dana 60 take the HP of the 6.0L.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

what is the difference from the between a LS1 and LS2 is it just the years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast