GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For cost at wrecking yards check out Car-Part.com. The larger yards will be on there and you can get an idea what used motors are going for in your area. AT or Mt is up to you, 4l80E behind the 6.0 is a excellant and very strong tranny. A Dana 60 will easily handle the power of a 6.0. The LS1 was a 5.7L motor that put out 305 hp in Camaro/Firebird and 345 hp in the Corvette. The LS2 was a 6.0L motor that put out 400hp and was used in the Corvette, GTO, SSR, and Trailblazer SS. The LS motors are very expensive, there just isn't that many of them out there. The 6.0 out of a 2002 or newer 3/4 truck would make a great swap, and they made a bunch of them so the availabilty is great, meaning cheaper to buy.
    Last edited by Boonduff; 10-14-2011 at 01:01 AM.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would throw a realistic figure out of $5,000 for a used 6.0 with about 70,000 miles, a 4l60e or 4l80e and the wiring harness. This wouldn't include all the other stuff you will have to buy like the intake and MAF, because junkyards do not give you those two items for some reason. I am not familiar with cost of having a wiring harness modifyed by someone, because I did my own as I have read way too many horror stories of sending harnesses out to have them modified.

If I get a 2002 or newer does it have to have the key that went with the truck. Also I found a whole truck that was a rollover for 3500$ with a 4l80e the 6.0l has 125k. Is that a good deal or should I try to talk him down some?

Legend
    Blog Entries

No you do not need the original key or ignition cylinder, you can have a regular non "chipped" key and ignition in your truck as long as you bypass the Theftlock. Google theftlock bypass and there are a ton of how to's, I did it on my engine swap and it works like a charm with a 99 cent walmart blank. As far as the donor vehicle your on the right path, being that everything will be there for you to take what you need off of it. Here's the thing I have found in buying donor vehicles, the seller's price is normally what the drivetrain goes for, he's not stupid he knows that's an LS2 to someone who really wants it. Another thing is that is high mileage for that motor, and being that it's a rollover tells me they were racing it.... It's not worth having to possibly rebuild it, and the worst thing is getting ahold of an LS motor with a slight rod knock. (been there done that lol!)

Will a 80 bed match a 84 cab lines?

Yes. The only thing they changed was the front end.

What are you doing with the truck? If you tow, I would consider dropping in an HT 502 crate motor. I don't know what transmission you have, but maybe you would have to swap transmissions to make that work if prior motor was a 350.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12