GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Overnight Battery drain.

I have a 2003 GMC Denali and just put the Trinity chip on it. When I went to install it the OBD II was dead. I found the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse labeled as the cig lighter. The fuse has not blown again, and now the OBD II works. Woke up the next day and the truck was DEAD... like 4 volts terminal to terminal dead. I had an old battery in it and just thought it was its time. I got it tested and said it was bad so I got a new one. Next morning... Dead again. The amp pull on the cig is .1 amp from what I have found out....
    I tell you all this to pretty much just ask if anyone knows of anything that comes off that fuse that goes bad and drains the battery? Is it possible that I just have a bad cig lighter? (I don't smoke so I do not care if the lighter works, Its nice to have but I would like my OBD II to work...

Welcome to the club. I can't help with your electric problem ( I don't do electronics ) but I'm sure someone on the site can help you.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!

You are on the right track with the cigarette lighter route, turn your truck on and push the cigarette lighter in and see if it blows a fuse again. If so you might have a short in the ground wire running to it, but I must say that is weird that the problems started with the Trinity being installed??

Well one of the cig lighters did not work when I bought the Denali about 8 months ago. I did not think anything of it because I had others. When I could not get power to the Trinity I looked at the Trinity site and someone said that they had no power and was told to look the fuse... Long story short my fuse was blown so I just replaced it.... I will go try the cig lighter right now and see what happens... I will post back in a few.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Just for the hell of it, did your truck have an aftermarket alarm or remote start hooked up to it? I ask because I had an aftermarket alarm hooked up on my truck about ten years ago, and the funny thing was the cigarette lighter never worked (both of them). The other day I was putting some lights under the dash when I noticed some wires hanging down, so I pull the panel and low and behold the installer had cut my cigarette lighter wires to probably use for the 12v and then changed his mind. He never taped them or anything, I wired them back up and now all is good lol! You never know??

Well... Hit it with and Amp meter and with the Trinity On it pulls .17 amps. when it powers off it pulls .06 amps and with it unpluged I pull .001 amps. Is .06 amps enough to kill it over night??
    Also the lighter works and does not blow the fuse...

Legend
    Blog Entries

The smallest thing I ever had drain a battery over night was a 5 amp switch off one of my neon lights, what you have is hardly even a parasitic draw. There has to be something else drawing on the battery, I know not much help now. I am at a loss now.......but it's good that it didn't blow the fuse again. Hopefully someone else can jump in on this one, sorry I couldn't help more?