GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    He is running tons of audio equipment in the truck, enough to blow out his eardrums. Once he gets this voltage drop issue sorted out, he probably could use a pair of high-output alternators, but first things first.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/f17...en-busy-71104/
    That doesn't tell me sqwat....

I have 2 amps and 2 12"subs that wil make you deaf,blurred vision,make your chest hurt,and induce labor if your pregnant.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

currently im drawing 720watts when all of my lights are on. so ok the lights got away from me and maybe this poor lil alt is doing everything it can.

the sound system currently has 3 AQsdc2.0 12's with the hdc3 12 otw. it should be here by thursday. im currently at 149db and my objective is to hit 154+db.
    i believe im going to add a power masters 200amp off set wired parallel with the oem alt. the wire from the alt to 3batts has been upgraded along time ago to 0gauge. i found a site the other night that offers 00gauge. i think im going to get some of that and also maybe add another 3000amp batt.

my 149db is at a voltage drop to 11.5vdc. if i can maintain atleast 13vdc or higher that in itself might put me to 150db. im also going to have to upgrade my mids very soon. with 6 6.5's and 2 5 1/4's its getting hard to here them all over the bass. that will most likely also then require more amps needing more power so the new bracket for duel alts im actually going to make it for 3 alts. im pretty sure later on ill be adding another 1.

for those that followed my other thread, the barn door window repair is still holding up. im starting to worry about the back side windows though.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

How about putting 6 in.... the high-power CB guys do it all the time.

Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Once you get in the 154db range most people don't care of you can hear the highs as you are strictly competing for spl. You may want to have seperate batteries for your amps with a high output alt.

There is a guy in phoenix with MECA who hit 153 I believe with a single zapco 12"sub. He has the record for the loudest single 12 also.ou

I had never competed spl credit but when I got my 7th order blow through I tried out to see what it would hit..i got 147db but with better music choice and some tuning the amp I could probably get in the 150s.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    Once you get in the 154db range most people don't care of you can hear the highs as you are strictly competing for spl. You may want to have seperate batteries for your amps with a high output alt.

There is a guy in phoenix with MECA who hit 153 I believe with a single zapco 12"sub. He has the record for the loudest single 12 also.ou

I had never competed spl credit but when I got my 7th order blow through I tried out to see what it would hit..i got 147db but with better music choice and some tuning the amp I could probably get in the 150s.
    after some of the stuff that i have been starting to see i can easily believe that. without question if you stay away from the audio stores and look more for the little guys making there own off brands then you can exceed what any audio store brainwasher will admit is possible.

as for the alt system i was looking at this to much from inside the box. i did alot of research since my last reply and i have figured a perfect solution. the wire plugging into the alt is a straight through batt single wire. depending on the current delivered it tell the voltage regulator what level of charge to allow to pass by. the intent which works very well by design is to protect the alt from burning up at lower rpm.
    on average (not the same for all but close) the alt will charge at full amperage between 11.9-13.6vdc. once it goes over 13.6vdc the regulator start dropping off to prevent overcharging. once it goes below 11.9 it drops off to prevent burnout until proper voltage it recovered which usually would happen as the engine turns up in rpm. now the cure to my problem is far simpler than what i was thinking. alt1 will have a 40%od pulley tricking the alt into thinking that it is spun up. alt2 will have a stock pulley. with the 2 currents parallel to the batt there is little to no chance of dropping the voltage below 11.9vdc by what my system current draw requires. the be on the safe side the 40%od on alt1 will help ensure 11.9 or higher voltage. now yes this does increase the chance of alt burnout at idle but yet most of the time im OTM to avoid 5O detection. this is also factoring in 3 batteries that i have hooked up to. the higher amp rating alows for more of a burst reserve of current allowing the alternators to be more efficient. currently my batt system amp rating all combined is 2600amps. 2 yellow tops and 1 red top under the hood. the yellow tops are great for there location being mounted in the back with the amps and subs. the red top is going to be replaced with a high amp 3000amp batt. thus leaving me with a 4800amp batt system( keeping in mind this is not actual numbers since all batteries have different aspects of power storage and certain power losses are not factored in for current travel leak off).
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

I'm not sure your plan is going to work right. Logic and experience says that the alternators need to be matched in their output. The reason behind this is if 1 alternator is putting out more power, it will backfeed that power back into the alternator that's putting out less power. The result? At least 1 burnt out alternator. This follows the same logic behind matching batteries in amps and type.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I think if you have a high output alt running separate batteries in parallel you will be fine. Maybe use a battery isolater if you want.

Do a search on google for "battery bank"...should get lots of ideas and how to's.

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

ok both alts have been hooked up for some time now. 1 has a 40% od pulley on it and the other stock. no this will not hurt the alternators being at different outputs since they are both the same voltage, and no it wont hurt the batteries. with both at idle im now getting an average of 130amps for charging. at 1500rpm im getting 215 charging amps(keeping in mind this is not a constant, the alternator does modulate the amperage as needed). with both alts working together in parallel the voltage has never dropped below 13vdc. it maintains an average of 14.7 with the sound system off and an average of 13.5vdc with the system on at full tilt. no more dimming lights, slowed fans or blowers, speedo jumps, engine burps, nothing showing any signs of lack there of charge.

it was very easy and basic to rig in the 2nd alt after looking at it for about a week. anyone with a welder and chop off saw and some scrap metal can do this. ill post pics soon. whats best is the way i did it im still using the very stock belt that was also used for just 1 alternator. i didnt have to remove any components, just the idler pulley and installed a smaller pulley on the tensioner arm. from looking at it i might be able to stuff 1 more alt if needed later on. ill cross that road when the time comes.
    Last edited by mudpuppy; 10-22-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Sounds like you got her whipped....how do you like the audioque subs? Post up some pictures of the alternators and system if you get a chance.

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

the subs are great. with double hearing protection on they still made my eyes water. the local audioshops worship it. however im changing up the system a lil. currently its running just 3 aq sdc2.0 12's. well im replacing these with the AQ hdc3 12's(3inch duel coils, 1ohm each, 3inches of cone movement, 2000watts per speaker) and then using 1 sdc2.0 12 up front for show. the other 2 2.0 12's will go into the gf's car. currently working on a deal for a 5k rms prototype amp from a custom amp shop. the manufactures didnt want such a beafcake amp so they had to down scale it for mass production. leaving them with 22 proto's and yeppers i get to get one. the lab even told me do not run it at full tilt for more than 20min no matter what charging system you have or it could fry your alts and batts. this thing takes 2 0gauge wires for power and 2 0gauge wires for ground. the lab claims at full tilt it will consume up to 342amps at 12.7vdc. thats more than my entire system total amp draw.

i would rather wait until its finished for the pics unless you guys are interested in its current progress then np. i can snap a few pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12