GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Advent Factory-Style Navigation

I installed the Advent OGM1 factory-style navigation system in my mom's 2008 Buick Lucerne tonight. Alberta just introduced a distracted driving law last month, so she needed bluetooth in her car for her work. We chose this system because it is designed specifically for 2006+ cars and 2007+ trucks from GM. No interface modules or anything like that - it just plugs in. It took me a bit over 2 hours to install... most of that was running the microphone for the bluetooth to just above the rearview mirror and installing the GPS antenna inside the dash so it would be hidden. The car started with cd & xm radio. It now has navigation, bluetooth, cd/dvd, factory xm, onstar still works as it originally did, steering wheel controls still work, it has an iPod connection, and it sounds better than the factory unit.

Overall, my first impression is that this is a pretty good unit. From what I've heard, the navigation part is OK, but not nearly as good as Kenwood or Pioneer units for that. Everything else seems top-notch though, and system and navigation updates are free. The best part is that it interfaces with all of the factory systems and looks a lot like the factory nav unit. If you have a truck with a backup camera, it can show that. If you have rear DVD, it can work with that. I haven't tested it yet, but apparently it is supposed to show on the screen which of the rear parking sensors is detecting an obstacle. It is compatible with Bose and non-Bose systems, and comes with a harness with pre-out connections (front, rear, sub) for if you want to use it with aftermarket amps.

I'll post an update with our experience with it after we've had it for a while and used it a bit.

Here's the before and after pictures:

Last edited by pmf608; 10-08-2011 at 12:29 AM.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Very nice. If you don't mind me asking, what did that unit set you back?
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

I couldn't find any Canadian dealers that sell this, so we got it from adc mobile in Washington. After shipping and duties it came out to about $1200. So... Pricewise it's right on par with The flagship units from kenwood, pioneer, etc.

Again, very nice. If I had a newer truck I would spend the extra buck for that unit.
    2010 Equinox LT

5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    Again, very nice. If I had a newer truck I would spend the extra buck for that unit.
    Me too. I'm leaning towards getting a Pioneer nav unit for my truck when the budget allows, but I would love to have something like this designed specifically for the type of vehicle it is going in. If only they made this for the Class 2 Data systems in the 2003-2006 trucks. Oh well.

I feel ya. I just got a 2000 SLE, so the basics is all it has. I'm just really happy with the dvd player I have. I might expand it with the navi unit later on.
    2010 Equinox LT

Nice. That is a clean look (very similar to OEM), and it sounds like it should work nicely for your mom.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Nice. That is a clean look (very similar to OEM), and it sounds like it should work nicely for your mom.
    Yea. On most GM vehicles, it would be a perfect match. On the Lucenre though, there is a very very slight color differenece because the factory radio, climate controls, and the bezel around them had a dark dark grey metallic finish rather than black.

Thats a very nice looking unit. On your other choices (pioneer and kenwood), I have always been a big pioneer fan, they like their products too as shown by their prices. I just put a JVC in dash system in my wifes car. It has all the goodies, bluetooth w/mic, backup camera capable, already has HD radio lifetime traffic etc (not sure on the canada specs though). Nav is similar in graphics to garmin and its easy to bypass the lockout which doesnt allow you to put in an address unless the ebrake is on. You can also tweak the colors to match all the other colors of your interior stuff. Overall she has really liked the unit and it was only 800 on Crutchfield.com. Seemed to have extra features that others didnt for a better price. figured I'd throw another one out there for you to look at.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Who makes the mapping on it?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X