GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Question Transfer Case Leak Help *PICS*

2004 Silverado 4x4, 4.3, 5 speed.

I have what was a small leak from the transfer case. After driving it would drip a little bit until a say 3-4 inch stain formed. Months back I added fluid because I noticed the drip and i wanted to ensure the case was full. Fast forward to now and the leak seems to be a little worse, not sure though as I was driving at about 70mph for about an hour, and the 3-4 inch stain is from city driving.

To me the fluid looks to be coming from the case bolt(s), and not the gasket seam itself. A friend said to back one bolt out at a time and apply grey rtv silicone to the threads, not sure about this. I dont really want a temporary repair just to have it start again when theres 2 feet of snow on the ground.

If a shop visit is recommended, what do I call the repair, and what ballpark price am I looking at? (Im a college student)

As promised, here are some pics to show what im talking about.

Thanks guys.

04 Silverado RCSB 4x4
    4.3 MT
    33" Firestone Destination MT's
    Flowmaster 40

Thread sealer on the bolts will probably only be a temporary fix. I would take it to a shop just to be on the safe side. Tell them that your transfer case is leaking fluid from the bolts, as for price, I'm not really sure but I would bet under $250.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

It looks like you may have the problem where theres a internal bearing that rides against the transfer case and wears a hole threw the case. There are kits out there to stop this from happening but once it has worn threw time for a t/case repair/replacement housing.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Sr. Apprentice

Well for what its worth, I had RadAir take a look at it. They said that rear seal is indeed the cause of the leak. So it looks like ill take that rear cover off and apply RTV myself, rather then paying them to do the same thing.

Sr. Apprentice

Okay guys another question. The bulk of the leak is coming from the 4x4 linkage. I was told by one place its an easy fix from the outside and no need to split the case. Yet another place says the gears will need to be pulled and the truck will be there for 2-3 days. Anyone know?

Pictures for reference:

4x4 linkage leak. by AKolibar, on Flickr

4x4 linkage leak. by AKolibar, on Flickr

Thanks again.