GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default suspension replacement question

I was wanting to know what would be good things to replace in my suspension for my truck. It is a 1989 chevy 2500 4x4, and the suspension is all original from what I can gather except for the front shocks which were last replaced at least 5 years ago, and the rear shocks, which i replaced about a month ago, and the truck has started making a lot of noise whenever the front suspension goes over the smallest bump or into the smallest dip in the road, so I was wondering what are some things that would benefit from being replaced at this point? And the body of the truck including the suspension as far as I know has a lot of miles since the odometer on the truck broke at 269,524.5. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. Also, what would be the cheapest way to get a lift on the truck? Or, by looking at my pics, does anyone think I could fit 35x12.5s on my truck as it sits now? It currently has 32" tires I was told. The tires say 265/70R17, so im not sure. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-09-08_13-01-49_980.jpg  
    Last edited by IdahoChevy91; 10-10-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Most likely all the suspension and body mount bushings are shot, there over 20 years old. I would start with the body mounts, upper&lower control arm bushings, leaf spring bushings and then check/replace the balljoints, idler arm, pitman arm, inner&outter tie rod ends etc.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

You need at least a 4" lift on your year truck to fit 35's.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Most likely all the suspension and body mount bushings are shot, there over 20 years old. I would start with the body mounts, upper&lower control arm bushings, leaf spring bushings and then check/replace the balljoints, idler arm, pitman arm, inner&outter tie rod ends etc.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

You're right, all the bushings in the front suspension are completely shot, gonna be around $80-90 to fix it. But thanks for the start on what to check.

Just remember that once you replace everything especially all of those suspension parts to get your front end aligned or all the money will go to waste.
    Dave V. -- Riverside, California
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodking86 View Post
    Just remember that once you replace everything especially all of those suspension parts to get your front end aligned or all the money will go to waste.
    Yeah, it needs an alignment anyway because the previous ownercranked up the torsion bars I believe so its not aligned correctly, so good timing for me to replace the bushings lol

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodking86 View Post
    yep to both of those
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member