GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Expected pad life on rear brakes?

Hello, I removed the rear wheels on my truck just to inspect the condition of the rear brake pads and was surprised that it looks like maybe 25% lining remaining on the pads. My truck has the original 26,300 miles from an older one owner man. He never used the truck for any real work (hauling or towing). I usually always get well over 80k (got 175k on my T-Bird) on the rear pads on all the other vehicles I have owned. Is this kind of wear normal? BTW, the front pads are factory original too and look like they have approx 50% lining left.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robytar View Post
    Hello, I removed the rear wheels on my truck just to inspect the condition of the rear brake pads and was surprised that it looks like maybe 25% lining remaining on the pads. My truck has the original 26,300 miles from an older one owner man. He never used the truck for any real work (hauling or towing). I usually always get well over 80k (got 175k on my T-Bird) on the rear pads on all the other vehicles I have owned. Is this kind of wear normal? BTW, the front pads are factory original too and look like they have approx 50% lining left.

Thanks!
    What Year Truck??.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 Extended Cab

Quote Originally Posted by robytar View Post
    2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 Extended Cab
    ....26K miles on an 02".......and the brake pads are the ones from the Factory........WOW!!!......I would first have them checked, because of them being 10yrs old and then have the Brake pads checked with a Brake Pad Gauge, to get a Reading on how much Brake Pad Life is Left for both the Front and Rear pads.........Also just my .02......I would go with and Install and New Set of Front/Rear Brakes Pads and do Flushing of the system.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-10-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

GM buys the cheapest brake components they can, I have never gotten over 20,000 miles on a stock rotor because they warp before the pads wear. I usually get two sets of front brakes before the back ones need changed and when I do I do new wheel cylinders and springs because there cheap.

I bought a new 2000 GMC and got 85K out of the brakes. The rear was a little better than the front, I replaced all rotors and pads. My 2011 doesn't even have 4 wheel disc, go figure.

I've always heard that GM brake pads wear fast.The front pads on my wife's Uplander were almost completely worn at 25,000 kilometers
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"