GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Would A Open Blend Door Allow Moisture In Cabin?

I know I have a problem with the blend door since when I put the A/C on to blow only out the lower vents it also blows out the vents up by the windshield and fogs it up. Also when I turn the fan completely off I can hear this sort of grinding noise that never goes away. The other problem that troubles me even more is that lately when we have a long steady rain all the surfaces in the cabin feel damp. Even the latch for the center console was starting to stick, I suspect from rust. I just put some WD-40 on it and it works great now. I don't seem to have any major leaking, with really wet carpet or dripping water from the headliner. I check the weatherstipping every time it rains and it looks completely dry. Both on the door and on the truck itself. It is starting to drive me nuts! Other than the problem with the vents, I haven't had any issues with this truck but it is a 2004 so it's not like it's new either. Could the problem with the blend door allow water to enter the cabin somehow? When we have a major rain storm but it's short or driving the truck in the rain doesn't seem to make it leak any.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Is the belnd door actuator shot? If so you can replace it. But the windows fogging even when on the lower settings with the AC on isnt a sign that the blend door is bad since the cool air that leaks out causes that to happen all the time to me. Now as for the moisture well you dont have a location listed so that is hard to determine. here in MN when the humidity is very high it can fell and seem very damp inside the truck. Then when it rains it can feel even worse. I would try running the AC with the heat on just a touch to dry the air some. and see if that helps.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Sr. Apprentice

I live in MD and lately it has done nothing but rain. I am almost certain that my actuator for the blend door is shot because of the misdirected air both for the A/C and heat. I know some on here that have experience leaks have notice a lot of water coming from one place or another but mine seem to be just all over. When the hurricane came through here I had damp carpets. That's when I noticed it the most but ever since then it has just been a never ending cycle of dampness in the cabin that I can't trace back to the source. Even my steering wheel will feel slimy.. I have a leather cover on it. I have looked all around but I have noticed that I have rust on the arms for the gas and brake pedals so maybe this has been happening for awhile now and the hurricane just made it more noticable. I almost wish it was leaking a lot from one place at this point.. then at least I would have something to focus on and fix.