GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Installing XM Satellite Radio Receiver... CAN I USE THE FACTORY XM ANTENNA?

I have an XM Sirius Satellite Receiver unit that I wanted to install in my silverado, my question is if I can use
    the factory XM antenna that's mounted on the front of the roof or not?

The kit includes an antenna with the receiver unit.. but since there's already one mounted on the truck can
    you just use it, and if so.. how ?

I'm sure alot of you fella's have bought the aftermarket XM units, did you use the provided antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by jlbf0786 View Post
    I have an XM Sirius Satellite Receiver unit that I wanted to install in my silverado, my question is if I can use
    the factory XM antenna that's mounted on the front of the roof or not?

The kit includes an antenna with the receiver unit.. but since there's already one mounted on the truck can
    you just use it, and if so.. how ?

I'm sure alot of you fella's have bought the aftermarket XM units, did you use the provided antenna?

Hey man I used the factory antenna that was on my roof. On my truck behind my glovebox was a silver box that had a cord going into it. That is the XM box and if you unplug that wire you can plug the antenna wire from your receiver into it. You can than use the factory antenna. PM me if you have any questions, but its pretty easy. Its a lot better than having that stupid magnetic antenna.
    Dave V. -- Riverside, California
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

Yes.... I did it and heres my post regarding the change:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/f17...n-today-69595/

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

JLB,
    Its fairly easy to do, sstoner has a pretty good outline of it. I didn't even move my XM brain I just unplugged the factory cord and inserted my aftermarket radio cord into the brain, its as simple as that. Let us know how it goes after you do it.
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

Default SIGNAL is FUZZY

Well I tried using the factory xm antenna but its just too short, I ran the antenna that was provided with the KIT i bought
    and its FUZZY as heck... I am going to look for an antenna extension for using the factory XM antenna.
    I found a bunch online, they're fairly cheap.. (under $10) so i'll get one sooner or later.

With the SIRIUS Receiver I have I don't know where to mount it. I dont wanna put it on top of the dash.
    I can only put it in the cup holder, which is fine for now but i want a more permanent solution that looks better.

I use to have mine mounted under my radio, like on the under side of the dash kinda. I used a few dots of clear silicone and than when I took it out, the silicone came off pretty easily.
    Owner of --