GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Unhappy A sad day... 01 Silverado 2500 rusting rocker panels

Oh man, I'm bummin'. I was doing some work this weekend, and discovered that the drivers side rocker panel on my 2001 Silverado HD2500 is rotting out. I also found rot in the right side cab corner & bubbles in the right side rocker. My baby has cancer!!!
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

huh, how many miles on it? Take some pictures I'm curious to see what that looks like.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

It's got just over 97K on it. I only drive it on the weekends if I have side work to do. If I had a decent MIG welder, I'd try replacing them myself. But my MIG is a POS and isn't very easy to adjust down to keep from burning holes in the metal, so I may have to let a body shop handle it.

Sr. Engineer

You're not alone, they all rot in the north. The metal on most of the original rocker panel is only about 22 gauge, and in areas that need reinforcement (like the rear door latch area on extended cabs and middle door pillar on crew cabs) they add a second layer. Plus there are 3 separate layers to hold garbage inside them, there's the outer rocker panel that you can see from the side of the truck, a backing plate that you can see from under the truck, and a third reinforcement panel between those two.

dont feel to bad, the 03 i used to have had cancer when I traded it, both rear wheel wells, and both back cab corners. I had 135k tho. 97k is early, tho ur truck is older.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Blog Entries

I have a 2000 Silverado L T & I need to do rocker panals & cab corners. So don't feel bad. LOL M

Thing is, when I bought the truck, I got a case of 3M u-coating & did the frame & underside of the cab & bed. the ONLY places I couldn't get to were the cab corners & inside the rockers!!!

its a plot by GM to make us get new trucks!

lol j/k

ive always wondered if there might be a better way of doing the rear wheel well rockers to make rust less of an issue.

ALex

Wow, seems like a lot of your guy's trucks are rusting, is it from the salted snow?
    Dave V. -- Riverside, California
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

Man, even though your truck is 10 years old rusting at only 97k is unfortunate.
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Powertrain: 4.8L V8, Automatic, 2wd
    Tires/Rims: Stock rims and tires for now
    Top 5 Mods: Straight piped exhaust, Billet Grille, Color-matched bowtie/shaved moldings, 12K HID's, Two 12" Kickers with a 1,000 watt amp
    Next Planned mods: Truxxx Leveling Kit, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 15% Window Tint

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by