GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Opinion On New Headlight Bulbs

Got a 1997 GMC Suburban C1500 that I'm upgrading.

The headlight plastic is no longer clear, so now the intensity of the bulbs is much lower.
    The cost of new plastic is very expensive, but new high wattage bulbs is much less.

For just a few dollars, I can put offroad 100 watt bulbs for the bright lights in each.
    And, I can put higher wattage bulbs in the regular lights to compensate.

Does this work very well to overcome the yellowed plastic headlight encasement?

Brighter bulbs are nice as long as they are legal in your state. You may also want to invest in one of those headlight restoration kits. The kit includes what you need to polish the lenses clear again, and they do work pretty well. I think they usually go for around $20 and will restore a pair of headlight lenses.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

From expericence I have had with high wattage headlight bulbs, they do not like the factory 22 gauge wire and neither does the bulb socket. I Upgraded my headlight harness to 14 gauge wire, and then I put in high temperature 9005/9006 sockets and have been running that setup for 7 years with no problems.

Also being that you want to use off-road bulbs, they will melt your plastic lenses in a matter of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey121 View Post
    Does this work very well to overcome the yellowed plastic headlight encasement?
    Not as good as replacing them.
    You can buy replacements on ebay for 20.00 each. I've seen complete lens sets (including parking, turning) for under 60.
    Just keep an eye peeled.

Default Hey if you see that link for 2002 Lights let me know :)

I'd truly appreciate it, and would like both brighter bulbs and clearer lenses..
    thanks again.

A friend and I used a cheap (under $25 IIRC) AutoZone headlight restoration kit on a friend's '98 Suburban. It took us about 2 hours (we were thorough, the lights were quite fogged and discolored) from removing the headlights, wet sanding, cleaning and polishing to re-installing and what a difference it made in the quality of the light output from the headlights. Try a headlight restoration kit, I think you'll be satisfied with the results.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

go with DDM tuning or Krypton bulbs HID kit

2005 Silverado SS
    Color matched AEM CAI,Magnaflow mufflers,cat delete,true dual 2.75" stainless mandrel bent exhaust,Circle D 300K stall,Transgo shift kit,Corvette servos,Detroit Tru-trac,SLP 160* T-stat,Taylor 10.4mm red wires,Comp cams 228R,903 springs,12" cross drilled and slotted rotors,WHEATLEY tuned!!!! Boss 313 22X9.5,Toyo proxes II 305/45/22,