GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Power door lock/lumbar/rear door speaker electrical gremlin

One more weird electrical question. I keep blowing fuse #13, a 20 amp one. This is the one that supplies power to the lumbar seat, the rear door speakers (right and left rear doors - not the back speakers in near the 'barn doors'), cigarette lighter, and the power door locks. Interestingly, I can still operate the power door locks with my key FOB. What happens is that periodically, after maybe a week or so, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, the fuse just blows. I know that when fuses blow, this means that a power wire gets shorted to ground. So seeing that i rarely use lumbar, I would almost rule that out. Also, the fuse doesn't seem to blow when I operate the power door lock switch on the door itself. Could one of the rear door speaker leads be shorting against metal in the door or possibly in the wire harness between door and frame and after repeated opening and shutting, jars the power wire against a ground? I'm thinking that might be it, only since I sporadically use the rear doors?

Wow I have the same exact.problem on my 1997 k1500 5.7 suburban. Haven't found an answer yet but I haven't asked or tried much diagnostics either...lol.

your problem is not limited to suburbans, many gm trucks had wiring issues like that, many times it is the wires under the sill plates under the driver side doors, id check the connector under the rear driverside door sill, (not the barn door sill) the connector there is known to corrode and short out, i had a similar issue with my 98 crewcab and sure enough it was corrosion in that connector crossing wires.

my old 94 club cab also had corrosion issues with that door sill wiring, why gm did not come up with better ideas is a mystery
    Last edited by outalne94z71; 11-04-2011 at 01:31 AM.
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

Quote Originally Posted by outalne94z71
    your problem is not limited to suburbans, many gm trucks had wiring issues like that, many times it is the wires under the sill plates under the driver side doors, id check the connector under the rear driverside door sill, (not the barn door sill) the connector there is known to corrode and short out, i had a similar issue with my 98 crewcab and sure enough it was corrosion in that connector crossing wires.

my old 94 club cab also had corrosion issues with that door sill wiring, why gm did not come up with better ideas is a mystery
    Hmm...thanx a lot!! Now at least I know where to start looking.

Any chance you have heated seats? My electrical short was traced to the passenger seat heating element. Somehow the wires had melted/fused to the chassis.

Legend
    Blog Entries

If the problem is not triggered by an event like using the power lumbar support or using the power door locks then it is likely a worn wire, corrosion etc. Any correlation between the fuse blowing and water? Washing the truck or rain?
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac
    If the problem is not triggered by an event like using the power lumbar support or using the power door locks then it is likely a worn wire, corrosion etc. Any correlation between the fuse blowing and water? Washing the truck or rain?
    Nope It's intermittent. In-fact I first noticed it after I installed speakers in the passenger rear doors. I thought I had possibly crossed the polarity on the new speakers because it would run for a while then fuse would blow. So I disconnected speakers in question and ran system for a few days no fuse blew. Then I connected speakers same as previously and prof blew fuse. Then I went in and switched the polarity. No blown fuses for about 2 weeks. Then one day I left lights on and battery died. had to get jump start. Now all of a sudden fuse blows instantly when u put new one in. Personally I don't think any of this is related to the issue just coincidence. I think that as previous poster said it is a corroaded wire somewhere and the truck bouncing around during normal driving conditions presents varying levels of a "short" condition, depending on how the culprit wire just happens to sit at the time. Do you agree?
    Last edited by truckfan4life; 11-07-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yup. There is a wire that is making intermittent contact some where. I have the factory manuals for the 98, can't be that different from the 97. Let me see if I can find something you can look at to help you chase this booger down.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac
    Yup. There is a wire that is making intermittent contact some where. I have the factory manuals for the 98, can't be that different from the 97. Let me see if I can find something you can look at to help you chase this booger down.
    Wow!! Awesome!! She has larger issues (engine problem) but right now this is an easier one to do somhing about and It's very annoying...LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast