GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

my 03 was nothing but great, no major issues, jsut basic maitinence, and a few small things now and then. bout my sierra back in February with 67k, now I have almost 76 k and its been in the shop twice, one was a small thing i just didnt have time ( or a place) to fix, the other I did myslef in my driveway. pretty easy.

get good mileage on the highway, rides real nice, comfortable, slept in it a few times now, and other then being a little stiff, it was fine. 4x4 works good.

driven ford, a few dodges, never was real impressed with em.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Hey guys,

Thank you for all the info. Looks like I have some serious thinking to do. I have driven all three half ton trucks and they all have things I like, and things I dislike. At this point since all the reviews on all three brands have been excellent, I think I'm going to have to make my decision based on price. I get employee discount for all three companies so I guess we'll see who comes out the cheapest and gives me the most for my trade.

I've noticed that when you look at the equipment packages for GMC vs Chevy you have a lot more options on the Chevy side of the house. On the other hand, the GMC's come with a lot more as "standard" based on the model you get (the SLE vs SLT). Just my two cents! Good luck on findin yer truck and let us know what you finally decided upon!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

I have a 08 GMC Sierra, traded in a HHR for it, hated the HHR. But as for trucks, I had a Dodge, a while back and the thing I liked about it was that no matter how you drove it, 120mph or 30 mph, you was gonna get the same MPG, 16.5 no matter what. Looked at a Ford, when I bought my GMC, had some things I wanted (sport version), but was also missing some things I like (carpet) and the seats just were not as comfortable for me, also the engine in the Ford just did not seem to have the torque that I was expecting in a truck. And like Drake just said when looking at packages on the GM models the GMC seems to have better standard equipment than the Chevy.
    Also if you have not already one this check the forums for Ford and Dodge, see what their owners think.

in my opinion checking out the "brand" forums isnt going to give you a real unbiased look at all the trucks. I'm not going to talk smack about my truck, the one i researched and then ponied up all the cash for...And then joined a truck forum to talk about it..Yeah, we all have little gripes about our trucks, but if we really didnt like something, we probably wouldnt have bought it. Check KBB and consumer reports for reviews. look for trends in complaints..even there, you can still get the 15 y/o kid that has never owned a truck leaving comments about how chevy sucks because his dad has a calvin peeing on a bowtie sticker in the back window of his Ford..So, drive them all, and talk to real drivers..Thats my best advice..

Don't give up on the forums for information, as with anything internet related can't believe everything but you can spot trends. For me I've owned Fords, Dodges, GMCs, and now a 2010 Chevy Ext. cab 4x4. Dodge was the worst engine problems and transmission problems swore never again. I now own a 94 GMC 2500 4x4 6.5L which is my fun driver luv that truck. And my 2010 Silverado is my "good" truck looks good, drives good, comfortable, your best truck will be the one you like best do your research go out and drive every style and option you can find, you will recognize "your truck"

i drive an 03 silverado, the most basic model, ext cab, manual doors and locks with a 5.3l v8. so far i really like it, the only bad thing really is gas mileage, but its a truck so i dont care about mpg. i have used my truck to haul loads like rock and other cars and it handles well, pulls like a champ. i think that all three brands of trucks look good and do what theyre built to do
    2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab, 5.3 v8

I bought a brand new (2011, 3300 miles as of now) 2500HD and it sucks so far. The transmission shifting is horrible. When coming up on a hill I press down on the accelerator and at first nothing happens, then it drops down into a low gear and snaps your head back. It is by far the worst truck I have bought!

I bought a new ford off road 4X4, 1500 back in 2000 that was really nice and the company I worked for had a 2005 that was also nice. This to me indicates a commitment to continued quality.

I also bought a new Nissan Titan and those are impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteLTZ View Post
    in my opinion checking out the "brand" forums isnt going to give you a real unbiased look at all the trucks. I'm not going to talk smack about my truck, the one i researched and then ponied up all the cash for...And then joined a truck forum to talk about it..Yeah, we all have little gripes about our trucks, but if we really didnt like something, we probably wouldnt have bought it. Check KBB and consumer reports for reviews. look for trends in complaints..even there, you can still get the 15 y/o kid that has never owned a truck leaving comments about how chevy sucks because his dad has a calvin peeing on a bowtie sticker in the back window of his Ford..So, drive them all, and talk to real drivers..Thats my best advice..
    While I appreciate your opinion, I would think that people who own and drive these trucks on a daily basis would honestly state what they like and what they don't. Maybe its me, but I know that I can generate an honest opinion on something whether I own it or not. Nothing is perfect and I would think that people on the forums who have logged thousands of miles in these trucks could honestly state pros and cons. maybe I'm giving people too much credit...lol

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    While I appreciate your opinion, I would think that people who own and drive these trucks on a daily basis would honestly state what they like and what they don't. Maybe its me, but I know that I can generate an honest opinion on something whether I own it or not. Nothing is perfect and I would think that people on the forums who have logged thousands of miles in these trucks could honestly state pros and cons. maybe I'm giving people too much credit...lol
    That is why I said what I did, about the other forums. I had a 2005 Colorado, liked somethings about it, but as far as build quality goes it sucked, the interior was crap, stuff broke all the time, radio peeled on knobs, replaced power window switchs alot, had the head replaced. and finally the last draw was the rearend going out. when I traded it for the HHR, I was having problems again with the security system, and that afternoon, when I left the dealer the truck would not crank, it cost them over $3000.00 in parts and labor, to get the truck running.
    As for my current truck, it aint perfect but it is what I was looking for in a truck. For me, it has the power I want, and easy to get more out of it, has the look I wanted, (hate the reg cab Fords), and had the equipment I wanted. While I wish that GM did a sport truck like they did in th late 80's and early 90's, I have grown to like the chrome, (last 2 trucks I had were sport versions with the ZQ8 suspension).
    Either way do some research, check forums ask the owners, and if they are honest about their trucks they will let you know.