GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fuse #13 keeps blowing (rear door speakers, cig. lighter, lumbar seat)

On my 98 Suburban LS, I keep blowing fuse #13, a 20 amp one. This is the one that supplies power to the lumbar seat, the rear door speakers (right and left rear doors - not the back speakers in near the 'barn doors'), cigarette lighter, and the power door locks. Interestingly, I can still operate the power door locks with my key FOB. What happens is that periodically, after maybe a week or so, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, the fuse just blows. I know that when fuses blow, this means that a power wire gets shorted to ground. So seeing that i rarely use lumbar, I would almost rule that out. Also, the fuse doesn't seem to blow when I operate the power door lock switch on the door itself. Could one of the rear door speaker leads be shorting against metal in the door or possibly in the wire harness between door and frame and after repeated opening and shutting, jars the power wire against a ground? I'm thinking that might be it, only since I sporadically use the rear doors?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would check the wiring inside of the rubber boot, that protects the door wiring to the rest of the truck. Or the other possibility is the cigarette lighter wires might be shorting out?

On my 91 Suburban, the cig lighter outlet likes to blow the fuse it's on which controls interior lights and other things. Look around and maybe disconnect the cig lighters for a week and see if it stops blowing the fuse.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage