GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Another thing that would help speed the site up is to get rid of the ads. Just sayin' ;)
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    There are multiple measurements for photos. The most common is the pixel ratio ( height x width ) but that does not always relate to how big the file is. My new sig pic is around 450 pixels tall by 500 wide. but the DPI (Dots per inch or PPI Pixels Per Inch) is 72 instead of 300.

To make it easy. A picture with 1024x1024 pixels (height x width) @ 300 DPI/PPI will be huge. The same picture at 72 dpi will still take the same 1024x1024 but take almost 80-90% less space aka 80-90% less data to load.

We could always ask the people if they are on a 14.4k modem using a land line to connect to the internet if it is too slow and have them upgrade to DSL or RR.

Ok kkkkkk. So How do I take a large data pic and reduce to a smalle data pic with out compromising the quality. I like photography but just in the learning stages. My anon equipment is quality but I need more training to use what I have befor moving on.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Sr. Engineer
    Blog Entries

Some of the sigs fill my screen , some fill my screen with all the text. or 2 pics and lines of test. Steve may have to ask to limit lines also. one mod per line is a lot of space but put 3 mods or 4 per line saves that.
    2009 Chevy Sliverado Std cab 5.3, 4 speed Auto 2wd, Trifecta Tuned
    1926 Model T Bucket powered by Chevy LS 5.3 TH350 and S-10 rear axle Build period Sept 7, 2010 to April 2011
    1979 Starcraft Islander 221 Great Lakes Fishing Boat
    SOLD: 2006 Chevy HHR The Deer Slayer.

Coach, most simple photo editing programs will ask you what "quality" you want to save your files (with a slider from 0% to 100%) 100% being a huge file. Set it to 50% and you should be fine. For displaying photo's on a computer screen, the lower quality image will not really be degraded that much, just don't try to print that smaller file to a printer..... it will look horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    Another thing that would help speed the site up is to get rid of the ads. Just sayin' ;)
    @Jimmeh,
    I agree. I experience more slowdown from ad load time than anything else on the site. I'm a little biased but I'm of the opinion that contributing (paying) members shouldn't see ads. I suppose I feel payment should entail a higher quality of service ... and ad removal would go a long way toward it. I suspect ad removal for paid members might also encourage more paid memberships?

Quote Originally Posted by TomsHHR View Post
    Some of the sigs fill my screen , some fill my screen with all the text. or 2 pics and lines of test. Steve may have to ask to limit lines also. one mod per line is a lot of space but put 3 mods or 4 per line saves that.
    @TomsHHR,
    Those people running tiny (1024x768 ... or smaller) screen resolutions on their monitors or small laptops (resulting in not being able to see much in the way of content of some posts) can tailor their specific experiences to their specific needs without having to impose some arbitrary, blanket policy. How?
    • Navigate to Settings->General Settings
    • Scroll down to the Thread Display Options
    • Uncheck Show Signatures
    • Click Save Changes
    One can also uncheck Show Avatars and Show Images if those bother folks. Individuals with special resolution needs can also readily block anyone whose signatures/posts bother them such that they never see posts from those users, again. I am of the opinion that these settings should be people's first lines of defense/change, as the settings let people tune their experiences to their specific needs. The tools are already there ... so people should use them if they need to do so.

My $0.02.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 02-05-2012 at 04:39 PM.

I forget not everyone has huge computer screens..... even back in the day of CRT's I had 17, 18, and 20 or 21 inch screens with a screen rez of 1600x1200.

If you are using a screen that is less than 1280x1024 pixels, its time for a new screen. LCD monitors have gotten so cheap now for 22inch monitors. If you go bigger than 22 inches the prices start climb.

I am running 3 24 inch monitors and the 4th port on the video card goes to a 42 inch LCD TV through HDMI.

Sr. Engineer
    Blog Entries

My net book has a 1024 x 600 screen. Could you buy me a new tablet? I use3 this while I am sitting in the evening.... I run my other computer when needed for cad.. I am a moderator for another 2 sites and know how to shut off the sigs and other items.

And not to be picky as mentioned but for an example surrealone's sig above takes 1-2/3rd pages.. on my screen.
    Last edited by TomsHHR; 02-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    2009 Chevy Sliverado Std cab 5.3, 4 speed Auto 2wd, Trifecta Tuned
    1926 Model T Bucket powered by Chevy LS 5.3 TH350 and S-10 rear axle Build period Sept 7, 2010 to April 2011
    1979 Starcraft Islander 221 Great Lakes Fishing Boat
    SOLD: 2006 Chevy HHR The Deer Slayer.

My net book has a 1024 x 600 screen. Could you buy me a new tablet? I use3 this while I am sitting in the evening.... I run my other computer when needed for cad.. I am a moderator for another 2 sites and know how to shut off the sigs and other items.

And not to be picky as mentioned but for an example surrealone's sig above takes 1-2/3rd pages.. on my screen.
    I also have a netbook.... Toshiba N105 1024 x 600...... gutted it out and upgraded it to 2gb of ram and a 750gb /7200rpm hard drive. and when it is not traveling with me, it is connected to a 24 inch monitor unless I am using it in truck as large GPS unit.

And the 24 inch monitor is 1200x 1920 pix.

I really don't think there are that many websites left anymore that specificly support the low screen resolution that a netbook has.
    Last edited by PantheraUncia; 02-05-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Not it! (My sig image size is only 48k. Tiny!)
    So I read the topic of this thread, and you want to guess what my very first thought was? Yep, you Surreal. I guess I can't blame you though. Nice job getting that pic that small.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

I believe there are people here with larger ones they just don't post as much as I do. Also, you probably know this but I'm stating it for the benefit of anyone reading -- this site (like other modern sites) allows you to tailor your viewing experience to your netbook use ... rather than expecting rules to be emplaced or people to have to change ... just to cater to the lowest common denominator in screen sizes.

Signature, Image, and Avatar display can all be disabled under Settings->General Settings if people wish to optimize their own viewing experiences. Of course, I think most people would probably rather complain ... even when someone endeavors to remain within the parameters of the site's image size rules, as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy09LTZCrew View Post
    So I read the topic of this thread, and you want to guess what my very first thought was? Yep, you Surreal. I guess I can't blame you though. Nice job getting that pic that small.
    The new (current) sig image is actually 39.9K. Also the rules as stated (here: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/con...amp-site-rules) indicate images larger than 1024 pixels wide are not to be posted. I've got room to spare as the image I use for my sig is 800x266.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12