GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Spark Plugs?

Default Spark Plugs?

Howdy Gang!

I'm new to these parts and I have a spark plug question.

I have a 2001 5.3 engine and I want to replace the plugs. I was warned away from the Bosch Platinum 4 tip plugs. I was told that domestic vehicles didn't fire hot enough for that plug.

Anyway . . . .which higher performance plugs have some of you successfully used? Which would you recommend?

Thanks

I was told not to use that type either. I changed out mine with autolite plugs, nothing fancy, and since they are cheap I do it once a year.

Failed my smog check last week, so I'm due for plugs and filters. Not really into changing plugs, but hanging around here I feel obliged to change my own. Been a big fan of Autolite (not motorcraft) but am interested in trying a set of ND iridium plugs. Think I'll pick up a set today. Standby for an update..................

Changed the plugs last night. Went with Autolite Platinums, cuz $12.99 ea. for iridium plugs is too rich for me. Going back for a retest this morning. I'm crossing my fingers. btw, the old plugs really didn't look too bad except for cyl 1 & 3.
    Last edited by unplugged; 10-22-2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: New info
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Not sure if this applies to any GM products, I had a Dodge Durango which I pulled the original plugs a 75,000. I put Bosch platnums in and noticed right off it ran different, not better a little off. I know the Dodge dealer well he told me to go back to stock plugs as the platnums messed with the computer. I have a 97 GMC 5.7 that I did the same swap on it runs just fine, I also have an 02 Chevy Sub that I am thinking of swapping over.

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

the set that was in mine was the dual split fires-the terminals were burned off the disti cap. i replace with a goos set of Bosh replacements and no issues yet......mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well