GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Be great if they still made 2 speed rearends. Which brings up the question of why they ever stopped producing them.
    What exactly was a 2 speed rearend. Sorry for my youth

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

In the 60's and early 70's manufacturers of medium and heavy duty trucks produced rear axles that had 2 carrier gears in them. A larger outer gear and a smaller inner gear. the gears could be could switched by coming to a full stop and either pushing or pulling (depending on which gear you were changing to) a lever in the cab that was connected to the gear mechanism via a cable. One gear was for high range and unloaded driving and one gear was low range and loaded.
    The gear sets had issues tho, the mechanisms would stick and the larger outer gear sets were weak and would break at times. But with todays technology it seems we could overcome those problems.
    Another useful item that isnt produced anymore is an aftermarket overdrive, a company called Atlas used to make overdive cases that bolted on behind the transmission when in neural the final gear ratio was 1:1, when shifted into overdrive you could get as high as 1:42. They had 3 different final gear ratio choices. Atlas overdrives were popular on Jeeps, early Broncos, and the big three's 1/2 ton pickups.

Gear Vendor still makes an overdrive that bolts on behind the trans but it is pricey. The two speed axle probably wouldn't catch on in a light truck but would be a great idea. Too much to go wrong. For the uninitiated they could leave it in low and over rev the engine. I have noticed that the never AWD don't even have a 2 speed transfer case.
    Rich

If I didn't have a Suburban I couldn't pull the toy box and haul my family to use the toys.

Forgot about Gear Vendor. Aftermarket overdrives just dont seem to be popular, I dont understand why with everyone wanting better MPG.
    Yea over reving was a problem with those old 2spd axles, but with todays technology any you could put an RPM limiter on the ignition and solve that problem.
    I've got a 62 Chevy/Wilco 4x4 pickup conversion at my parents place in Pahrump NV. that has an original Atlas overdrive and factory 2 spd rear end, you coldnt drive that truck from Pahrump to Las Vegas (70 miles) in a day without the overdrive and 2 spd rear. The factory final gear tops out at 46mph, with overdrive and high gear it'll get upto 71mph.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Wow, now those were so determined thieves! I see you are in Arlington. Where were you when the thing was stolen, if you don't mind me asking?
    Well, either the dealer that was consigning it for my grandmother took it off before we shipped it down here( from Amarillo) or it was taken shortly after it arrived from my driveway. I don't remember actually seeing it on the truck, and only noticed it meeting when I climbed out of the back end and didn't rip all the skin off of my shin.
    Josh

2001 VW GTI 1.8T
    2005 VW Passat 1.8T - soon to be gone but not forgotten
    1997 Chevy Suburban 1500 5.7L - What have I gotten myself into?!?

Legend

In the 60's and early 70's manufacturers of medium and heavy duty trucks produced rear axles that had 2 carrier gears in them. A larger outer gear and a smaller inner gear. the gears could be could switched by coming to a full stop and either pushing or pulling (depending on which gear you were changing to) a lever in the cab that was connected to the gear mechanism via a cable. One gear was for high range and unloaded driving and one gear was low range and loaded.
    The gear sets had issues tho, the mechanisms would stick and the larger outer gear sets were weak and would break at times. But with todays technology it seems we could overcome those problems.
    Another useful item that isnt produced anymore is an aftermarket overdrive, a company called Atlas used to make overdive cases that bolted on behind the transmission when in neural the final gear ratio was 1:1, when shifted into overdrive you could get as high as 1:42. They had 3 different final gear ratio choices. Atlas overdrives were popular on Jeeps, early Broncos, and the big three's 1/2 ton pickups.
    Thanks. .. Ya learn something new everyday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12