GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Dynomax/ Magnaflow/ Flowmaster

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3 and I am looking to put a new SI/DO muffler on. I like the sound of the Flowmaster Super 40 but I read on a few places it does nothing for performance, so I've also been looking at the Dynomax Ultra Flo and the Magnaflow XL mufflers. I was wondering what your guys thought are on how these three mufflers compare.

Thanks
    Chris

Welcome to the club, Chris. Todays stock mufflers actually flow quite well, so you don't see/feel a performance gain with just a muffler replacement. Muffler replacement only is really just giving you the sound. Cat-back kits have larger diameter pipes that are mandral bent so you get more flow.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Welcome to the club, Chris. Todays stock mufflers actually flow quite well, so you don't see/feel a performance gain with just a muffler replacement. Muffler replacement only is really just giving you the sound. Cat-back kits have larger diameter pipes that are mandral bent so you get more flow.
    X2, you're not gonna see much if any performance increase from a new muffler. A cat-back exhaust is really the best way to go to get a nice exhaust tone and increased performance.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

The flowmaster 40 series sounds great and I've been considering putting it on my truck too. However if your looking for performance than you might wanna go with a cat-back system like silveradotrailblazer and telorvehc suggeested.

What ever you do, look into getting a xlerator muffler. single in dual out. cat back. on top of that look into getting pipes that have 3 1/4 tip
    2002 Gmc sierra
    5.3 v8 1500
    k&n air intake
    20inch liquidmetal dyno 6's
    xlerator dual exhaust.

I would suggest the magnaflow's

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3
    Factory Tint
    Recon Taillights
    2.5 ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Low Profile Toolbox
    Westin Nerf Steps

I have a Dynomax VT SI/SO exhaust system on my 2010 5.3 4x4 Crew w/K&N Drop in filter. Nice sound, no drone and noticeable performance gain. Installed 30 days ago. So far, very happy...excellent quality product...for $290 at JEGS.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TELORVEHC View Post
    X2, you're not gonna see much if any performance increase from a new muffler. A cat-back exhaust is really the best way to go to get a nice exhaust tone and increased performance.
    Bumping an old thread here, but wondering if you guys would say the same thing about an '05 - minimal performance difference from just a muffler? My entire exhaust system is in pretty good shape and I can't justify spending $$ on a cat-back system or more right now, but was thinking I could drop ~$100 on a Magnaflow muffler or something. I'm planning to get a Diablewtune sometime this summer and was thinking it might be beneficial to get a higher flow muffler before the tuning, to compliment my K&N CAI. But if there's not much performance benefit I might just wait a year or two to do the full exhaust system, and then pay Lew for a retune. Appreciate any input.
    Truck: 2005 GMC Sierra SLT
    Toy: 2006 Honda 599

I was quoted $350 for a catback exhaust system at my local exhaust shop. Its not really expensive. You would lose money if you decided to get a single in single out muffler and then a single in dual out exhaust. You would spend $200 just for the mufflers. Why not just get a cat back exhaust system now instead of getting a year later. As for the flow, I believe an aftermarket muffler would be an improvement, but I don't think it's going to be very noticeable difference.
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Powertrain: 4.8L V8, Automatic, 2wd
    Tires/Rims: Stock rims and tires for now
    Top 5 Mods: Straight piped exhaust, Billet Grille, Color-matched bowtie/shaved moldings, 12K HID's, Two 12" Kickers with a 1,000 watt amp
    Next Planned mods: Truxxx Leveling Kit, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 15% Window Tint

I guess I do tend to nickel-and-dime myself with things like this... I'll have to keep thinking about it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by