Results 1 to 2 of 2
10-02-2011, 01:26 AM #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2004
- Arlington, Texas, United States
- Blog Entries
2012 Chevrolet Tahoe Special Service
The Chevrolet Tahoe Special Service SUV expands what law enforcement officers can do and where they can go. Tahoe Special Service is similar to the Tahoe PPV, but is offered in four-wheel drive, making it an ideal vehicle for various non-pursuit applications where four-wheel drive and versatility are a high priority.
Tahoe Special Service is powered by the Vortec 5.3L V-8 engine delivering 320 horsepower (238 kW) and 335 lb.-ft. of torque (452 Nm). The Vortec 5.3L features Active Fuel Management™ technology, resulting in improved fuel economy, and can operate on fuel that contains up to 85 percent ethanol. The 5.3L V-8 is mated to a fuel-efficient, heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission.
An available heavy-duty cooling system, including a higher capacity radiator and engine oil cooler, as well as heavy-duty four-wheel-dic brakes with ABS, is one of the Tahoe Special Service’s features that make it well-suited to a variety of severe-duty demands.
StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with traction control is standard. The system also incorporates electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist.
Additional standard equipment on Tahoe Special Service includes a 26-gallon fuel tank, 160-amp alternator, a heavy-duty 730 CCA battery with run-down protection and extended-life spark plugs. Dual 730 CCA batteries are also available. A fully integrated electrical system makes it easier for upfitters to install such police-specific equipment as light bars and police radios. This helps save time and money associated with vehicle upfits.
Tahoe Special Service exterior features
- Black assist steps are standard.
- Available headlamp/taillamp flasher system.
- Available daytime running lamps and automatic headlamp delete.
- Radio suppression (braided brass straps attached at several body locations) is standard.
- Recovery hooks are standard.
- Available left- and right-hand spotlamps.
- Exterior color choices include: Black, Summit White, Gold Mist Metallic, Black Granite Metallic, Silver Ice Metallic and Mocha Steel Metallic.
- Air conditioning is standard.
- AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 playback compatibility is standard.
- Cruise control is standard.
- Inoperative inside rear door handles, door locks and windows are available.
- 100-amp main power supply wiring at the instrument panel and cargo area is standard.
- Remote keyless entry fleet package ,including six additional remotes, is available.
- Remote vehicle starter is available.
- Auxiliary wiring for grille lamps, siren, etc. is available.
- Front bucket seats are standard.
- Front 40/20/40 split-bench seat with center fold-down armrest with storage is available.
Tahoe Special Service powertrain
The Tahoe Special Service is powered by the Vortec 5.3L V-8 that balances power and efficiency. Variable valve timing helps the 5.3L optimize performance, efficiency and emissions, while GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. It is also E85-capable and matched with GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
- The variable valve timing system allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement). It also helps reduce exhaust emissions. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, it eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
- GM's Active Fuel Management technology increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent under the federal government's required testing procedure and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually indiscernible.
- E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gases during the combustion process.
The Tahoe is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, incorporating a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, multi-link with coil spring rear suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Additional features include:
- Wide front and rear tracks – 68.2 inches (1,732 mm) front/67 inches (1,702 mm) rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel.
- A stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
- Heavy-duty four-wheel disc brake system is standard.
- The standard axle ratio is 3.42.
- Two-speed Autotrac active transfer case is standard.
- Trailering package is standard.
- A locking rear differential is available.
- A Skid Plate Package that includes a front underbody shield that starts behind the front bumper and runs to the first cross-member. It protects the oil pan and other underbody/chassis components.
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for both seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle.
- Standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger provide thorax and pelvic protection.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both. It includes electronic trailer sway control, intelligent brake assist and hill start assist.
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake systemwith ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision , and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system , standard on all models.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)
Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM #2
The cops next door are expecting one very soon, and I know where the keys are. There may be a "first drive" report coming...
1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!
By muskie in forum GM PowertrainReplies: 2Last Post: 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM
By Steve in forum Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)Replies: 1Last Post: 09-29-2011, 10:17 PM
By Steve in forum Chevy Trucks For Sale eBayReplies: 0Last Post: 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
By Steve in forum Chevy Trucks For Sale eBayReplies: 0Last Post: 12-03-2010, 04:10 PM
By stelford in forum Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)Replies: 0Last Post: 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Tags for this Thread