GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Studded snow tires for Traverse AWD

Having a hard time finding studded snow tires for my wife's 2010 Traverse AWD. Has anybody come across anything in the 18" size? Thanks

Why would you need studded tires with AWD? Even if you get them they are a seasonal tire and not allowed in summer. New York - Oct 16 - Apr 30

Quote Originally Posted by tractorbill View Post
    Having a hard time finding studded snow tires for my wife's 2010 Traverse AWD. Has anybody come across anything in the 18" size? Thanks

Legend

^x2 not to mention they are illegal in alot of states...
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Engineer

And states that will let you run studs have to have on all four wheels.
    RESIDENT NUT.....MY CLAIM TO FAME .....

Quote Originally Posted by redvett View Post
    Why would you need studded tires with AWD? Even if you get them they are a seasonal tire and not allowed in summer. New York - Oct 16 - Apr 30
    I agree. I don't understand why you would need studded tires on an AWD vehicle. We get a lot of snow where I live. I drove around in a 2wd silverado with no weight in the back, on ms tires, never had an issue in over 10 inches of snow. My wifes front wheel drive torrent has made it thru more than a foot and a half of snow and ice with no issue, that was with the stock tires.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I don’t’ have an AWD yet but I think it’s general knowledge that a lot of states don’t allow studded snow tires.

As for experience with snow, my pal who have an AWD also didn’t have problems with his tires even on snowy road conditions.

The reason why you’re having a hard time finding them is because they’re not recommended for use especially in your state. It’s even difficult to find those tire types in our location and we also get a lot of snow here.

Just bought a set in Wenatchee Wa. $700.00!

Yeah, I was about to chime in on this. I grew up in Idaho and Washington State ... believe me, there are time and places that people go where studded tires are ok and in fact recommended. There are some mountain passes that are Snow Chain / Studded Tires REQUIRED. Granted, if you show up in a hopped up snow beast they'll let you pass, but they're making a point. If you're in a place that's below zero for 4 months solid and up about 5,000 feet or more ... you'll want an awesome AWD system.

NOW, that being said, most of the AWD systems will computer-aid the driver to be able to handle a lot of power where you need it.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.