GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 1987 GMC Sierra Classic

I am building an '87 GMC and every time i get one thing done so i can get it inspected 1 more breaks. this thing is "nickel and diming" me every time i go out in the garage. some times it gets me. anyone else built an old truck and had this problem?
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI

What is wrong with that poor girl? You need to talk to it like a fine plant
    No I've had plenty of Chev P/U's, never had that happen....

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

i was putting in a new gas tank and a metal fuel line broke. i replaced my front brakes and went to bleed them and lines blew out. my Y-pipe and nuts that hold it to the manifold are so rusted it aint even funny
    Matt

Even though your truck may be nickel and diming you at least you are not paying a note on a $30,000+ Silverado. I would also say your insurance and property taxes are a lot lower also. Just hang in there and your truck will pay you back. In the end you will still be able to haul and ride just as well as those with newer trucks.
    The basic stuff like the frame,engine and trans will last for decades. If you have not done so already, put a complete, new distributor in your truck becase it will fail and leave on the side of the road (the wires to the pick-up coil break). I have a 78 Scottsdale that was bought by my father new and I still drive it everyday. Origianal engine, trans, rearend and front /rear suspension. Better than your favorite pair of blue jeans. My gas tank rusted out last year so I feel your pain.

John

Ok now i am down to a few things like body work. But I have 1 HUGE problem, my fuel gauge reads FULL all the time when I turn on the key. HELPP!!!!! Why would it do this and how can I fix it? I dont remember if it worked before I replaced the tanks or not. I cant get her inspected til I fix this.
    Matt

Check the ground wire to the fuel tank.

Default fuel gauge

Definitely check your ground wire and fuel tank electrical connector very closely. After pulling the tank you may not have gotten good connections when hooking it back up. Check the fuse as well. You can test the circuit without pulling the tank whick will tell you if the gauge is actually working otherwise you may end up pulling the tank to check the float/sending unit which is actually a variable resistor( rheostat).

Quote Originally Posted by oldgreen View Post
    Definitely check your ground wire and fuel tank electrical connector very closely. After pulling the tank you may not have gotten good connections when hooking it back up. Check the fuse as well. You can test the circuit without pulling the tank whick will tell you if the gauge is actually working otherwise you may end up pulling the tank to check the float/sending unit which is actually a variable resistor( rheostat).
    I checked the fuse and its good. The guage stays at full. Explain a little more about the other things because i am a rookie with working on vehicles.
    Matt

how do i check whether its grounding out before the guage?
    Matt

There should be a couple of wires coming off the fuel gauge sending unit. One will be grounded out at the frame rail near the tank. You may not have realized that it was there when removing the tank and broke it.

Or it just rotted off the frame.

If this is the case simply put a solder less connector on it and scrape or sand the frame rail where you are going to put the grounding screw.
    Self tapping screws are great here if you have a screw gun.

And by the way, I completely agree with the above statement that you are better off with putting a few parts in than paying payments.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast