GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    There should be a couple of wires coming off the fuel gauge sending unit. One will be grounded out at the frame rail near the tank. You may not have realized that it was there when removing the tank and broke it.

Or it just rotted off the frame.

If this is the case simply put a solder less connector on it and scrape or sand the frame rail where you are going to put the grounding screw.
    Self tapping screws are great here if you have a screw gun.

And by the way, I completely agree with the above statement that you are better off with putting a few parts in than paying payments.
    i will look into that tomorrow
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI

ok i looked at the ground that comes off the sending unit near the plug for the harness and it was good on both. could it be from the fuel system being dry for a while?
    Matt

Did you get the sending problem fixed yet? Is there elec. coming to the sending unit. Send me a pm if you want. Your truck may be to new for me but I can try.
    Jay :happy: Waxhaw, N.C.
    70 Chevy C-10 Stepside from 86 lowered 2" front 3" back, 383ci/350hp. elec. seats,functioning cowl, wood bed, hidden hitch, hidden tach, long headers, duel 3" exhaust. perform int., semi-aggressive cam (no specs.)
    69 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 350 ci 3spd. mild cam, 270hp,stock.duel 2.5" exhaust. Lowered 2" made own blocks

89 Ski Marlin Boat 350 ci:party: pulling machine. 7 skiiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smoke View Post
    Did you get the sending problem fixed yet? Is there elec. coming to the sending unit. Send me a pm if you want. Your truck may be to new for me but I can try.
    I have not got it fixed yet. I havent had time to go do more looking/working on it
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MD4x4 Fireman View Post
    I am building an '87 GMC and every time i get one thing done so i can get it inspected 1 more breaks. this thing is "nickel and diming" me every time i go out in the garage. some times it gets me. anyone else built an old truck and had this problem?

I have an 86 gmc and i have the same problem i have replaced everything from the steering to the bumper and i still find problems. like shorts and wires burnign for some reason.

Default has anyone done this?

I have an 86 gmc and i have the same problem i have replaced everything from the steering to the bumper and i still find problems. like shorts and wires burnign for some reason.

ell hre is the latest. I got it on the road and ran into a BIG problem, i got the vent tube on 1 tank leaking and the filler neck on both leaks. the tank with the cracked vent tube wont fill up with gas from a pump, WHY? I am gonna post more questions about this problem in the fuel section.
    Matt

Default I dont Know

I have a 1987 gmc sierra classic the first year it was fuel injected i have problems 1. every time i start it it sits in idle then starts to di then to normal it will do this a couple of times then finally die.

2. i have one of those switches on the bottom of the dash for theft well i dont know wich way is non - theft , and theft , .

Default ignition problem

i have a 1987 gmc sierra 5.7 it started to run bad I went to change the plug wires and found rust under the plug wire at the coil terminal on the distributor then I noticed if I remove the wire from the terminal and let the spark jump from the wire to the terminal it starts to run fine again any advise on why it would do this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12