GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Apartment gate closed on my truck.

Last week I had an apartment gate close on my truck. It was not my fault. I was not trying to follow anybody in or anything like that. The
    Complex has the whole incident on camra, but is claiming that they are not liable for their gates. Has anyone ever had a similar incident with a company not wanted to fix damage caused by them to your truck. If so how did you go about it. Do I need to get an attorney or just let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by dlg804 View Post
    Last week I had an apartment gate close on my truck. It was not my fault. I was not trying to follow anybody in or anything like that. The
    Complex has the whole incident on camra, but is claiming that they are not liable for their gates. Has anyone ever had a similar incident with a company not wanted to fix damage caused by them to your truck. If so how did you go about it. Do I need to get an attorney or just let it go.
    Is there a Sign, Next to the Gate, Stating that the Complex is Not Liable for the Gate(actions of it) if hit a Vehicle and/or a Person??.....also is the Gate is on the Property of the Complex??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

The only sign that is there just states that you are under video monitoring. The gate is on the property of the complex as well.

The only sign that is there just states that you are under video monitoring. The gate is on the property of the complex as well.
    I would mention to them, what I expressed above......that there is No Sign Stating that the (Complex is Not Liable for the Gate(actions of it) if hit a Vehicle and/or a person) and see what they say to that......and that the Gate is On the Property of the Complex........how much and/or what damage was done to your Truck from the Gate hitting it??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

It has around $600-$1000 worth of damage to the paint and body on the drivers side of the truck bed according to my insurance adjuster. I will deffinatley
    Mention what you said next time I go to meet with them.

It has around $600-$1000 worth of damage to the paint and body on the drivers side of the truck bed according to my insurance adjuster. I will deffinatley
    Mention what you said next time I go to meet with them.
    For the amount of the damage to your truck, I would Not let this go, if the Complex is Not willing to work with you on this issue, don't argue with them, Instead I would speak with an Attorney, and see what he/she can do for you......Good Luck and hope it all works out for you.......and last Take pictures of the Complex.....the area of the Gate and your Truck ASAP!!

Edit:....I forgot to ask, do you live at this Complex and/or does a family member/friend live there??
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-24-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Ok so not sure how much this will help, but my wife is in property management (regional manager for a large publicly owned company). I posed the question to her if this happened at one of her properties. Her response was that she would have you file a claim with the insurance (their property would send info to their risk management dept.) and then the insurance would then most likely go after the property. doesnt help when you have to pay the deductible, unless your insurance would wave that until they investigate and decide if they are going after the property. Make sure the surveillence tapes dont disappear. thats your only evidence that you were entering the gate properly, otherwise they can just claim you were following another vehicle through.
    Sorry to hear about the damage
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Ok so not sure how much this will help, but my wife is in property management (regional manager for a large publicly owned company). I posed the question to her if this happened at one of her properties. Her response was that she would have you file a claim with the insurance (their property would send info to their risk management dept.) and then the insurance would then most likely go after the property. doesnt help when you have to pay the deductible, unless your insurance would wave that until they investigate and decide if they are going after the property. Make sure the surveillence tapes dont disappear. thats your only evidence that you were entering the gate properly, otherwise they can just claim you were following another vehicle through.
    Sorry to hear about the damage
    Dave Excellent Advice.....and x2 on making sure the Tapes Don't Disappear and/or get Erased, can you say Nixon (WaterGate)!!

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

I agree with Mike and David... make sure the surveilance footage doesn't get erased - get a copy of it if you can. And take pictures of the area around the gate (lack of a sign saying they aren't responsible for it). I strongly suggest doing this before you talk to them again. All it takes for them to be off the hook would be to put up a sign just outside of the surveilance camera's view and claim it was there all along.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

I agree with the Video Tape thats the main Focus as of now because if they say they quote on quote lost it you are really out of luck and there will be nothing you can do!

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters