GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: gear ratios

Default gear ratios

Hi I am kind of new to this stuff
    I am considering re gearing my truck it is a 05 1500 5.3 with 3.73 (g80 and gt4 codes) also with a cortex programmer with performance w/ 91 octane, k&n cai, airaid tbs, with flowmaster exaust
    Right now I have 285/70/17 on there with a 2in coil spacer considering going a little bigger with a lift in the future. (possible camburg kit with deavers)
    I do tow a 26 ft travel trailer with total weight of 7400 lbs and have air bags on the back
    Is changing the gear ratio a matter of swapping the ring and pinion with 4.10 ring and pinion or are there more things to be done

Any recomondations would be nice
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chrys256; 10-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.

CHRYS256,
    Losts of of have been through this gearig change process. IMHO, no a jumb to 4.10's from .373's, (regardless of tune), will not provide the torque you need to pull the weight of a 26' trailer. If you've got the 4L60E with the .70 O/D like I do, you've next logical jump is at least 4.56, particularly with the height of the 285x70's. The 5.3l engine is small displacement so you're not going to get the best of both worlds in terms of torque and hp.

Realistically, I'd look at a truck built specifically for towing, (ie; bigger engine, 8.1 or even perhaps a diesel). In the end you'll have thrown alot of money at the 5.3 that would have justified it and still not be happy withy the 5.3 overall capability.
    V1
    It's never really finished...and faster is always better.

2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 Copo
    5.3 K&N CAI Cat Back Flowmaster Duals
    4L60E TransGo kitted w/Oregon Performance HiPo servos
    Rancho suspension lift
    MB V-tec wheels Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Diablo Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys256 View Post
    Hi I am kind of new to this stuff
    I am considering re gearing my truck it is a 05 1500 5.3 with 3.73 (g80 and gt4 codes) also with a cortex programmer with performance w/ 91 octane, k&n cai, airaid tbs, with flowmaster exaust
    Right now I have 285/70/17 on there with a 2in coil spacer considering going a little bigger with a lift in the future. (possible camburg kit with deavers)
    I do tow a 26 ft travel trailer with total weight of 7400 lbs and have air bags on the back
    Is changing the gear ratio a matter of swapping the ring and pinion with 4.10 ring and pinion or are there more things to be done

Any recomondations would be nice
    Thanks
    If you do alot of towing I would recommend 4.56 gears and changing everything..i.e carrier bearings, pinion bearings and ring and pinion. At your gear ratio now you can tow 7900 max recommend ratings.

I went from a 3.42 to a 4.11....best $600 spent...I dont tow with it anymore but if your moving up from 3.73 I would go with 4.56 since your in there and spending the money anyway. If you put in 4.10's your going to wish you had and hate yourself!

If this was a trailer I pulled on a regular bases....like daily.... I would consider a HD model truck but I think you will be fine with a 4.56 upgrade.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    If you do alot of towing I would recommend 4.56 gears and changing everything..i.e carrier bearings, pinion bearings and ring and pinion. At your gear ratio now you can tow 7900 max recommend ratings.

I went from a 3.42 to a 4.11....best $600 spent...I dont tow with it anymore but if your moving up from 3.73 I would go with 4.56 since your in there and spending the money anyway. If you put in 4.10's your going to wish you had and hate yourself!

If this was a trailer I pulled on a regular bases....like daily.... I would consider a HD model truck but I think you will be fine with a 4.56 upgrade.
    Very well put. X2

2005 Silverado SS
    Color matched AEM CAI,Magnaflow mufflers,cat delete,true dual 2.75" stainless mandrel bent exhaust,Circle D 300K stall,Transgo shift kit,Corvette servos,Detroit Tru-trac,SLP 160* T-stat,Taylor 10.4mm red wires,Comp cams 228R,903 springs,12" cross drilled and slotted rotors,WHEATLEY tuned!!!! Boss 313 22X9.5,Toyo proxes II 305/45/22,

I would go with the 4.56's. As mentioned above theres not much differance between the 3.73's and 4.10's.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses: