GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 09 Silverado tow issue

Ok I have an 09 1500 with the 5.3 with 4 speed tranny and 3:43 gears and it seems like it strugles pulling a 4500lbs toy hauler and only get about 8 MPG. What can I do to make it pull better and get better MPG?

Thanks,

09 Silverado 1500 ext cab w/5.3

Sr. Engineer

I don't think there's much you can do about the mileage. Mine gets about the same mileage as that when I tow anything over 4,000 lbs. Even if you got a 2500 with the 6.0 engine, it'll have more power to tow but it won't get any better mileage towing (and the mileage when you're not towing will be much worse than your current truck!).

As far as making it pull better, what do you mean? More power, is the trailer pushing/pulling your truck around when you're going down the road, does it sag too much..?

you can try some aftermarket performance stuff first. CAI, exhaust, programmer etc. after that if you tow alot is a gear change to a 3.73 but it will affect non towing mileage some.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

I had a 5.3 and wasn't impressed with it in the least, very weak motor in my opinion and I have 3 Silverado's in the last 5 years. My last two have been 6.0's and love em to death. I would say your biggest problem is the oversized wheels and tires, small motor and weak gears. 4.10 would make a lot of difference.

It feel like I am pulling a very heavy load but I know i'm not, just think the trailer is creating alot of drag. I have an CAI and a exhaust, was looking at getting a programmer and a camper shell but I have heard they don't help much. I have a WD hitch with anti sway bars so it sits level. Do yall think the programmer and shell would help? I am looking at going with 3.73 gears for it but not sure if I have a 8.5 or 8.6 rearend.

Anybody have any more info?

Speedracer,
    You're getting about the same as most folks towing with the same equipment. I've towed a 6200lbs TT while carrying 2 400cc class ATV's with a '06 GMC 2500HD 2X4 reg cab 6.0ltr and got similar mileage. Now days it seems GM has shifted the power band to higher RPM's to clean up the emissions. Those higher RPM's are not real friendly to good mileage while the truck is working. I have been trying to find some credible information on if the aftermarket air induction packages are able to increase the mpg's - have found anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer170 View Post
    It feel like I am pulling a very heavy load but I know i'm not, just think the trailer is creating alot of drag. I have an CAI and a exhaust, was looking at getting a programmer and a camper shell but I have heard they don't help much. I have a WD hitch with anti sway bars so it sits level. Do yall think the programmer and shell would help? I am looking at going with 3.73 gears for it but not sure if I have a 8.5 or 8.6 rearend.
    As mentioned by dsfloyd, Going with a Tune, will help with getting a few more Pony's from the Engine, going with a camper shell will IMO just add weight and no gains......also going with 3.73's will once again help with Towing......as far as the rear gears you have.....8.625 Ring Gears.

Edit:.....also what Size Tires are you running??
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-28-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Tires are 275/65/18's, whats the best bang for the buck for programmers?

Thanks,

I'd agree with dropping to the 3:73 rear. I get very good mileage with the 3:73's when not towing, and towing a 3500 pound boat on trailer combo I get about 13&1/2 mpg. Wind resistance may contribute some. You may need to reprogram your ECU if you re-gear. I'd search for an Eaton locker in an on-line boneyard and swap the whole banjo housing out, it's a pretty fast job. They are selling 5.3's complete for less than $1500 so a rear couldn't be that much.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by