GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is broken here, what oil is this coming from under my hood?

See the oil shooting out from the long thin radiator going up and down infront of the main radiator? Can you let me know what that is, the tube on the top of the coil is broken and you can see the oil shooting out...

Stephen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TruckLeak.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	31374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holmdel-20111024-00300.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	31375

Quote Originally Posted by stephenwsmith View Post
    See the oil shooting out from the long thin radiator going up and down infront of the main radiator? Can you let me know what that is, the tube on the top of the coil is broken and you can see the oil shooting out...

Stephen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TruckLeak.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	31374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holmdel-20111024-00300.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	31375
    The Long Thin item you have Pictured, is the Cooler for the Power Steering.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

It's a cooler. Don't know if it's engine oil or trans fluid.

Edit.

Guess we have the answer.

Default Ok... what do you think that should cost to replace?

Thanks, what do you think it should cost to replace that coil?

Part and Labor? ballpark.

Also the truck was driven into the yard fine, but it is not shifting right now, and they dont know but said possibly a bad trans.. The battery is dead from sitting, could that make it seem like a bad trans?

Stephen

Thanks, what do you think it should cost to replace that coil?

Part and Labor? ballpark.

Also the truck was driven into the yard fine, but it is not shifting right now, and they dont know but said possibly a bad trans.. The battery is dead from sitting, could that make it seem like a bad trans?

Stephen
    On the Cooler, a friend just had to buy a new one.......the Cost of the Cooler IIRC.....around $80/$85........On the Trans not shifting Now.....who said possibly a bad trans.....a Shop....Chevy Dealer??

Edit.....Below is a Diagram of where the Power Steering Cooler is located, the item in Solid Black.....Number #8....
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-25-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

The guy from the State lot, said the truck was driven in with 100k miles to the lot, the battery died sitting there, so much it wont take a charge even when truck is running. He put a portable power unit, on the truck, but it would kept stalling as it drove down the hill to the parking area, and it was like it would not shift into gear etc. I figure when I go pick up the truck I'll put a brand new big time battery in it. I'll have the part ordered to replace the power steering cooler, and then have the trans checked out by a trans shop. It is a K2500, with the manual windows, with blue vinyl seats in the front two buckets and a bench in the middle. The other part of the plan is to put upgrade the intertior to a grey leather seats. Is there anything I should be looking for to attach the rear bench seat in the back of the suburban.

Regards,

Stephen

If the battery is that dead that would cause the trans to not work properly.... I wouldn't take it to a trans shop until you know the trans has a problem.... Which you won't know until the engine and electrical system is working properly...
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

The guy from the State lot, said the truck was driven in with 100k miles to the lot, the battery died sitting there, so much it wont take a charge even when truck is running. He put a portable power unit, on the truck, but it would kept stalling as it drove down the hill to the parking area, and it was like it would not shift into gear etc. I figure when I go pick up the truck I'll put a brand new big time battery in it. I'll have the part ordered to replace the power steering cooler, and then have the trans checked out by a trans shop. It is a K2500, with the manual windows, with blue vinyl seats in the front two buckets and a bench in the middle. The other part of the plan is to put upgrade the intertior to a grey leather seats. Is there anything I should be looking for to attach the rear bench seat in the back of the suburban.

Regards,

Stephen
    After installing the New Battery, and before taking the Truck for a drive........Check the Transmission Fluid level.....to see if the fluid level is low or not and for Color, if the fluid is Red(Pink in Color)that's what you want to see, if its Brown in Color.....that's Not so Good.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Default thanks, that is a great truck btw :)

Hi

That is what I'll do, I'll get the Power Steering fluid cooler fixed and a fresh new battery, and then take a look at what's next...

The battery was so dead, that even after she had run for a few minutes (like 10) there was not even a click when you cranked the key after it was shut down.

Since the truck was driven into the yard at the surplus sale, I have to think the trans worked fine when it was parked.

Stephen

To get the truck moving, you can bypass the power steering cooler with no ill effects. The cooler isn't required for normal use, just when towing or with big tires, that kind of stuff.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast