GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2001 5 speed manual.starter fully engages outside of truck but doesnt engage flywheel

2001 1500 5 speed. just got it in this condition.replaced starter with a new one thinking it was the cause for this truck not wanting to start.
    that didnt do it so replaced the clutch safty sensor inside the cab at the clutch pedal. so i thought ill just add a push button start and be done with it. but when i jump it under the truck the starter just spins and no flywheel contact.
    Any help would be great.any ideas welcome....

One thought is this flywheel may be pushed away for some reason? i reached in there to make sure it had teeth but couldnt tell if it was missaligned or anything, maybe?

Legend
    Blog Entries

You might have to buy some shims for the starter to bring it up closer to the flywheel, I had to do it on my LT1 because it was just free spinning too. Either that or you have a flywheel with two or three missing teeth right in a row.

sorry for sounding so clueless on this but do the shims go between the starter and where it mounts to do this? do i just use washers or is it very specific? how much shim did you use? i didnt replace this starter originally so im not sure if there was shims to begin with only the starter was mounted dirrectly. thanks for the info!

Don't want to sound like the harbinger of doom but here is what happened to me with some very similar circumstances: I have a '94 GMC with 6.5L diesel the starter worked loose and slightly bent the starter mounting bolts, I retightened and believed problem solved, not so they worked loose again, broke the block where the starter mounts and broke some teeth on the flywheel. Had the flywheel replaced have tried to repair the block several times and am in the process of making one more attempt before I scrap the truck. So make sure your bolts are good, make sure the mounting holes are good, and make sure its repaired correctly or you may have a very expensive repair. And the shims go between the starter housing and the block.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I asked a friend who has worked on cars forever, and he says it sounds like the starter drive could be bad. He said you can go to NAPA or somewhere and get a new starter drive and fix the starter that way. The only other way if you didn't want to rebuild it, would be to buy a new one. He told me that the only way you would use shims is if the flywheel was binding on the starter, which you are having the opposite problem. I'm sorry I gave you bad info, I was just trying to help lol, I wish someone else would help out with this post too darnit...

Sr. Engineer

Is the starter gear extending at all or is it just spinning without extending? If its just spinning without extending (which is what it sounds like in your description) you have a wire hooked up to the wrong spot on the starter. If you just needed shims you'd hear a nasty grinding noise as the starter gear hits the flywheel, there's no way to have it that far off where it wouldn't make at least some contact..

It seems to me if you ADD shims the starter gear would be further from the flywheel. You should take the new starter to get it checked out, as an amateur it sounds like the bendix is defective.