GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Blog Entries

The module I had that was bad, didn't have constant drain, but came in
    in bursts for a few minutes at a time. That's why a standard multimeter didn't work for any of us. We popped out the fuse, looked for an immediate change, and when nothing registered, we quickly moved to the next fuse. Nobody held the multimeter on a circuit for more than a second or two.

The tester the electrical shop used actually monitored each circuit over time and identified any changes. Even with that, it still took a tech 3 hours to find my problem. It may be worth it to bite the money bullet one day and have a shop that specializes in these issues take a look. Because they have the right equipment and that's all they do, the shop I took my truck too is where many shops/garages sub-contract their customer's electrical problems to.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    the shop I took my truck too is where many shops/garages sub-contract their customer's electrical problems to.
    That's the key, find a shop that other shops use and you'll save money. Talk to the service guy (who writes the work orders) at the local GM dealer, they might point you in the right direction.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    That's the key, find a shop that other shops use and you'll save money. Talk to the service guy (who writes the work orders) at the local GM dealer, they might point you in the right direction.
    It took a long time to get there, as the pulling the fuse and testing solution works in most cases. But when you start running out of options and think you're going crazy....call in reinforcements and go to the experts

4. Likes RayVoy liked this post

Great advice.parasitic drain most likely cause. yes it can be a "demon" coming and going unseen, leaving all scratching their heads. couple things i'd like to add though. many times even professional techs focus on the "nightmare" and skip right by the basics. for instance, first question should have been how old is the battery. after 3 yrs old, any battery is suspect. note in a subsequent post he said he replaced it be cause it was 5 yrs old. so always start with the basics lest you create a maze that compounds the problem. also charging system test which includes one of the most overlooked items, BATTERY CABLES. batteries cannot take a proper charge or provide proper output if their bad or connection is dirty. visual inspection is not good enough. they do corrode inside unseen. test by voltage dropping them. back to parasitic drain, in my experience, 1/4v could be simply radio memory. it would take a long time to drain a good battery. of course length of time depends on amperage capacity of battery. and as noted ALWAYS SUSPECT ADD-ON's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12