GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Leather Cleaner/Conditioner?

Just purchased a 2011 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 and I wanted to know what everyone uses to clean their leather? I don't want any sticky residue that will attract dirt or lint. Thank you for your suggestions!

Armour All Leather Conditioner is real good, used it on the interior of my Monte Carlo, don't have the car anymore so use it on my work boots
    2012 4.8 LS

Legend
    Blog Entries

The two best ones that are rated the highest in consumer like, and that I have used on every car and truck I had since I was 19 are
    1) Simoniz Leather Care Cream ( I love this product) here is a link about it I found: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...are_cream.html

2) Meguiars GOLD CLASS RICH Leather Aloe Cleaner( the Aloe makes it so soft) its amazing.. Here is a link I found for you: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...are_cream.html

GOOD LUCK!! I use the Simoniz one for my Envoy SLT with heated seats... works great.. LOVE IT

2008 GMC ENVOY SLT
    GT RACERS Black Diamond Grille
    | PIAA Headlights| BEAMERS Pro HID Kit 6,000K Diamond White |
    3" LiftMeister Body Lift Kit
    |Skyjacker Suspension| MagnaFlow Exhaust w/tip |Hella Supertone Horns| Blacked out Body

"Silly Boys! Lifted Trucks are for Girls"
    "If you can't beat 'em, then your going to slow" :sign0081:

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Use what the Leather shops use Lexol or Saddle Soap.....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Sr. Apprentice

Eagle 1 leather conditioner

Legend

Blog Entries

I would recommend Connolly Hide Care Products. It is the absolute best leather care products on the market. It is the product recommended by companies such as Jaguar and Ferrari!!!
    http://www.autogeek.net/colecakit.ht...m_campaign=CSE

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Theres actually a lot of misconceptions about leather products and what you need to care for an interior. The first thing is the fact that 99% of modern vehicles on the road (and every truck on this site likely) have coated leather, meaning you and the products you use actually never come into contact with any actual cow hide. The leather sits under a coating of urethane, typically tinted, and textured to hide imperfections.

Why? Because only the very finest of cars get premium hides... we're talking cars like maybachs, rolls royces, etc. where the hides are from cows with flawless skins. They're raised in pens without trees or thorn bushes, they're kept separate so they can't scratch eachother up, etc. The rest of us get leather from cows that are, well, pretty beat up. The coating helps hides the nicks, scars, and other imperfections so the seat looks uniform.

On top of that, most people won't care for raw leather properly, meaning massive warranty repair work for manufactures... for evidence of what untreated raw leather looks like check out a king ranch edition ford, or an old baseball glove. Over time the wear starts to make the material look uneven, dealers/car makers don't want to have to replace your seat every 6 months b/c of appearance issues. The urethane coating protects the leather and keeps it even looking. Its also the stuff that starts to show those creases and cracks on the bolsters over time.

So all that being said you really don't need a 'leather specific' product. A lot of leather products on the market contain oils, and lanolin (animal fat) which is great for raw leather, but thanks to modern coated leather is completely unnecessary. What you do need is a product that provides protection to the surface against UV fade and other factors that it is susceptible to. So in reality all these products that claim to have special moisturizers, oils, lanolin, etc really aren't designed to be used on modern 'average' car interiors. The product never actually reaches the leather in order to 'condition' it in the first place.
    use the code GMTC to save 10% storewide at www.AdamsPolishes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan[MENTION=44367
    Adams;430605]Theres actually a lot of misconceptions about leather products and what you need to care for an interior. The first thing is the fact that 99% of modern vehicles on the road (and every truck on this site likely) have coated leather, meaning you and the products you use actually never come into contact with any actual cow hide. The leather sits under a coating of urethane, typically tinted, and textured to hide imperfections.

Why? Because only the very finest of cars get premium hides... we're talking cars like maybachs, rolls royces, etc. where the hides are from cows with flawless skins. They're raised in pens without trees or thorn bushes, they're kept separate so they can't scratch eachother up, etc. The rest of us get leather from cows that are, well, pretty beat up. The coating helps hides the nicks, scars, and other imperfections so the seat looks uniform.

On top of that, most people won't care for raw leather properly, meaning massive warranty repair work for manufactures... for evidence of what untreated raw leather looks like check out a king ranch edition ford, or an old baseball glove. Over time the wear starts to make the material look uneven, dealers/car makers don't want to have to replace your seat every 6 months b/c of appearance issues. The urethane coating protects the leather and keeps it even looking. Its also the stuff that starts to show those creases and cracks on the bolsters over time.

So all that being said you really don't need a 'leather specific' product. A lot of leather products on the market contain oils, and lanolin (animal fat) which is great for raw leather, but thanks to modern coated leather is completely unnecessary. What you do need is a product that provides protection to the surface against UV fade and other factors that it is susceptible to. So in reality all these products that claim to have special moisturizers, oils, lanolin, etc really aren't designed to be used on modern 'average' car interiors. The product never actually reaches the leather in order to 'condition' it in the first place.
    Well said. I personally use Sonus leather cleaner & their conditioner because they are designed to work for both natural and coated leather. Their products have the oils and such for the untreated leathers (should I ever come across a family member's vehicle with untreated leather that I'm conditioning, this is good to have) and they have polymers and such to keep the plastic coating on normal leather in good shape. I also like that it does both because that way it can help save the areas on my driver side bolster that have worn enough to expose the actual leather. This is the only product I have found so far that is designed for treated leather, and it works nicely without leaving any oils or residue on the seats.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

That was the same design philosophy we followed with our Leather & Interior Cleaner and Leather & Interior Conditioner... they both will work on coated and uncoated leather, we also recommend them for use on dashes, door panels, and any other 'hard' interior surface as those require much the same care as a coated leather does.
    use the code GMTC to save 10% storewide at www.AdamsPolishes.com

Lemon pledge :P i've got some armor all leather cleaner and some meguires spray stuff...i just use whatever i see first in the cabinet that day pretty much
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast