GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spring Truck Cleaning Tips for your Chevy?

chevy truck cleaning tips

Chevy Truck Spring Cleaning Tips
    How many of you are going to clean your trucks now that we have nice weather coming in most parts of the country (and some parts of Canada)?

I find that I have to spend a bunch of time cleaning the wheels in the spring and if you stay on top of it, then they never get too nasty. Then I make certain to air out everything by taking a trip with the windows down and getting up to a decent speed. Make sure to get rid of any clutter or it will fly out the window. No, I don't suggest that you get rid of clutter by doing this.

Then I do a good wash and vacuum the entire inside out and will touch up the carpet where needed.

What's everyone else do?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Not much of a winter here in AL, did have to clean the interior the other day . Left windows open a little to vent, lawn service came along mowing dead grass for some reason, trimmed and blowed grass all inside and all over the truck. Had allergy attack after sweeping the grass out, eyes swelled up and sneezed myself dizzy
    2012 4.8 LS

Definitely giving my truck a good cleaning soon. I got a PC polisher for XMas and just ordered a kit from Adams Polishes (thanks Dylan) to make it shine.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Last weekend I did something I never do, took the truck to an automated car wash, normally I hand wash at the house but I was feeling lazy.
    One of the local car wash's had a special for a hand wash and interior steam clean on seats and carpet for $26 with a coupon so I took'em up on it, for an additional $5 I had'em run it throught the tunnel and spray down the undercarriage.
    Sadly with all the bugs and trash in the air it already needs cleaning again.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Definitely giving my truck a good cleaning soon. I got a PC polisher for XMas and just ordered a kit from Adams Polishes (thanks Dylan) to make it shine.
    Better be clean in a few weeks.....

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Better be clean in a few weeks.....
    It probably will be in the garage at the train station.
    Washed it up good today and will wax it tomorrow with the PC. Can't wait to see how the Adam's works.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

I detail my vehicle in spring right after the first pollen falls and ideally just after it's rained (so that pollen isn't blowing all over the vehicle while I'm detailing). This tends to happen before the spring rain, which is good because a fresh coat of wax laid down just before piles of pollen and rain fall on the vehicle ... is a good thing!

Master Mechanic

All I know is that pollen is all over my truck between spring and summer and I hate it!

Master Mechanic

One new thing I plan on doing fairly soon is buying a clay bar kit. I do recommend researching the products though and reading reviews because there is a lot to be said about a good/bad clay bar kit. Because I got my truck used there are a couple little nicks that require a dab of touchup paint. The clay bar kit though will help drastically minimize the appearance of swirls in the clear coat. The swirls are mainly from washing and wiping rather than buffing. I've also been considering Meguiars scratch x 2.0 for areas more heavily scratched. I have to look on the forum to see if there are any threads about scratch removal products.

You will get better results using a low speed buffer for scratches, I used a scratch fix kit ( sand paper, rub compound and clear coat) for a key scratch. I'm just blasting mine off at the carwash with the pollen and thunderstorms .
    Last edited by jnbama; 03-18-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    2012 4.8 LS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast