GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Keep that chrome clean!

Hey everyone,
    Just thought id tell everyone to make sure they keep their chrome clean! My stepdad just bought my mom a buick enclave last year in september and we noticed this past weekend that all of the chrome on the entire vehicle including the wheel package they got for it is already oxidizing! We were surprised at how fast the chrome had begun oxidizing since the vehicle is only a year old and my 96 suburbans chrome took years and years for that to start occurring. We took it to the dealership and they pretty much said thats your problem and told us that they have already had another customer in and sent in a report to GM which they replied with that they will not do anything about it because it occurred outside of manufacturing. The guy at the dealership then told us that he isn't surprised that it occurred as GM has begun using crappy chrome to cut down on prices on their side which turns around screwing over the buyer. Its sad to see that they don't make vehicles like they use to.They are all about the profit rather than the quality of the product.
    K1500 5.7L Chevy Suburban
    290000+ miles
    K&N CAI
    Black Bear Performance Tune
    TCI Servo and Shift Kit
    Long Tube Ceramic Pacesetter Headers
    Custom Side Swept Dual Exhaust
    Dual 2.5in electric DMH Performance Exhaust Cutouts
    BFG A/T 285s

Legend
    Blog Entries

The sad thing is it's not even chrome any more, It's ABS plastic with a spray on finish type stuff. Chrome is what they put on cars back in the 50's, we will never see it go back to that. It does suck though that they don't last long, and especially an Enclave which is pretty expensive to begin with.

Blog Entries

hopefully some-one on here might have found a round-a-bouy way of finding out if
    you can get GM to cover any of it under warantee !!! I know the GM contact person on this site
    will probably post soon, and hopefully you can be looked after....I just bought chrome
    mirror caps, and I'm pretty sure they are all ABS chrome-plated plastic, as mentioned by TRPLXL2 !!!
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Bumper to bumper 3/36 should cover it If not in the end of your owners book is a # to call. Call it and see what happens.. They SHOULD cover it..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

My experience with the dealer in rust is this, it only covers rust through and not just surface rust. My Silverado undercoating fell off the frame after a year, the frame started rusting bad to the point that chunks were falling off. I took it to them several times complaining, they told me that it only covers rust through. I got pissed and took it home, sandblasted the whole frame and painted it with POR-15. Now I am happy...

The chrome is actually very easy to get to shine again. I work in a GM dealership and most of the time GM wants to try and clean the chrome before they ever replace it. We just use a little fallout remover and its all brand new in about 10 minutes, however this is a mild acid. Not like you can walk into wal-mart and pick it up, but some soft steel wool works very well. It just takes longer and you have to be more careful.
    2001 Silverado 4X4 5.3L Auto Ext. Cab
    Flowmaster American Thunder 40 Series cat-back exhaust
    K&N Cold Air Intake (with Dry-charger)
    All alpine Audio
    De-Badged
    Diamond clear head lights and park lights
    Access, Vanish low profile bed cover

And that's part of why I'm getting away from the whole chrome thing. That and I love the idea of the black contrast parts with the white diamond paint. It's just not the same "chrome" that it used to be. It can still look great, just not the same for me personally.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp