GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Scratch

Default Scratch

Worked 14 hrs the other day and really tired , opened door with key in hand and put a scratch next to the door handleonly had truck for a week. If anybody has any tips let me know, have black touch up but the orange cap broke and stuck in the cap. Plan to use tooth pick to fill in and let cure then use rubbing compound
    2012 4.8 LS

God is great, beer is good and people (WOMEN) are Crazy

how bad is it? If it isn't to bad you may be able to wet sand and buff out. I have done that a lot for people.

2005 Silverado SS
    Color matched AEM CAI,Magnaflow mufflers,cat delete,true dual 2.75" stainless mandrel bent exhaust,Circle D 300K stall,Transgo shift kit,Corvette servos,Detroit Tru-trac,SLP 160* T-stat,Taylor 10.4mm red wires,Comp cams 228R,903 springs,12" cross drilled and slotted rotors,WHEATLEY tuned!!!! Boss 313 22X9.5,Toyo proxes II 305/45/22,

Blog Entries

I believe I have heard that the wet-sanding/buffing works .....not sure if your local Paint shop guys would offer free advice
    if you are not sure if it will work ???...good luck,,,,damn, I hate scratches too !
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Go to one of the parts stores in the area, and get a scratch repair kit, Duplicolor makes them, also pick up a new bottle of touch-up paint, follow the directions, on the kit, and the reuslts will be good, just take your time and go slow, or you can sand through the clearcoat if not careful. If you want you can get some finer paper in 1500, 2000, and 3000 grit to do some final polishing. Follow up with a good wax and polish and you will never know the scratch was there.

To add to what has been mentioned by those above, and that is depending on How Deep the Scratch is, you will most likely need to Apply a few Coats of Touch-up Paint, as the Touch-Up Paint will Shrink, with that being said you will need to build up the area where the Scratch is, once that has been done, then you can move forward with the steps mentioned above.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks for your tips everyone, just now found your replies. Had previously bought a scratch kit for my car but the clear had dried up, scratch is very short but kinda deep from the key, used a toothpick with new bottle of black touchup , lightly sanded then used the rubbing compound looks better but may do over. Anybody else may not notice but it glares right at me whenever I open the door. Attended a Autobody and Paint course way back in 1979, Emeron and Acrylic was the big thing to use then, bet an old Buick we beat and banged on had about 100 lbs of bondo plastered on it .

Quote Originally Posted by jnbama View Post
    Worked 14 hrs the other day and really tired , opened door with key in hand and put a scratch next to the door handleonly had truck for a week. If anybody has any tips let me know, have black touch up but the orange cap broke and stuck in the cap. Plan to use tooth pick to fill in and let cure then use rubbing compound
    Today had a roll of carpet to give away and whats the first thing the guy does, picks it up from the side and tries to slide it over the top and over the side of the bed instead of opening the tailgate, caught him before he pulled all the way over