GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default S.O.S. Advice on window regulator wheels needed ASAP!

Long story short. I purchased 12 new reg rollers from LMC to replace the worn ones on my 1989 suburban. Tried to pop the wheel off of the axle but when I went to pop the wheel onto the stock axle in the regulator the stock axles were fatter and did not allow the wheel spin.

Then I cut out one of the stock axles off of the regulator in order to weld the new axle and roller combo in and found a difference in the size of the axle shaft and regulator hole. The hole was almost twice as wide. I could not see how it would be possible to get a nice right angle with such a large disparity between the axle and the hole.

Finally decided to throw in the towel and call a local authority. He showed up at my house and showed me this odd (and I say odd because it was square, not round) solution. He claims these square ones are "universal" and they will work flawlessly.

My concerns are this: I understand that Mopar and Ford, etc. used square "roller" designs...but I wonder if the regs and motors were geared differently than chevy making up for the increased resistance that I am anticipating. I expressed this to the "window expert" and he said that they will be smoother than the round ones as the axle spins inside the square housing. He said they don't even need grease. He said he has had them in his Grand Prix for over 25 years without a problem...I do believe him, and he came highly recommended by many mechanics..I just can't get past the fear that my motors will work "harder" and therefore die faster???? Does anyone have anything to say about this???? Please advise so I can figure this out??????????????????????

Thanks,

Joe

Motors should be fine.... I'd probably use some lithium grease in the roller tracks anyway.... Everything moves better with lube vs dry....
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member