GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Sr. Apprentice

Default SpareTire Removal Problem....

OK so the tube like thingy from the rear bumper to the lowering mechanism that I believe is to guide the key/rod seems to have become detached from said mechanism therefore the key/rod s not lining up properly to turn whatever it is supposed to turn preventing the spare tire from being lowered. Any suggestions would be helpful. Just glad I didn't find this out somewhere on the road after getting a flat in the middle of the night in the rain....
    :star: Keep Drivin' -Pete.

2005 Reg Cab Short Bed
    4.3 V6/5 Speed
    W/T

Sr. Engineer

Grab some liquid wrench or pb blaster and soak the mechanism as much as you can from under the truck. Assuming you're doing this on the 2005 in your signature if you've never lowered it before its probably rusted and seized up. You might have to do this for a couple of days, otherwise you'll end up cutting the cable or bracket that hold it up to get it off..

Jr. Apprentice

I learned the hard way to lower the spare every six months whether I needed to or not. and hose it with Fluid-Film, or PB blaster, or even WD-40.

needed my spare once and everything was rusted fast. not fun. had to snip the cable with bolt cutters to get the tire off (thank God I had them with me), then replace the whole mechanism afterward.

I found out the hard way that the spare tire mechanism is total crap, it didn't when I needed it to. It's a common issue on the 99-06 trucks for the mechanism to fail.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light