GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lol will do keep is posted

OK .... I couldn't wait until tomorrow .... so I dove in tonight after work ...
    Now I'm just pissed off and frustrated ....

Got rid of all wiring for the alarm, looked at all the wires and no signs of damage, put it all back together ... no change!

Still doing the "no start" in various tilt-column positions (mostly 'up') ....
    Still doing the "start and die" routine (actually hadn't done it for about 1-1/2 weeks .... until now) ...

And, the "theft deterrent" light keeps coming on sporadically .... whether its idling in the driveway or driving down the street ...
    And, if the theft-deterrent light is on while driving, the turn signals and hi-beams don't work ....
    Tried reseting the theft system, but it never seems to work like the instructions I read on the internet say ... turn switch on, theft light stays solid ... wait 10+ minutes and it never goes out .... ??????

So ... short in the column ... bad ignition switch .... ?????
    I can't believe a 4-yr-old truck with only 52K miles would be having these problems .....
    But they are driving me FREEKIN nuts ....
    2009 GMC Denali (Mom's daily driver)
    2010 Chevy Camaro SS (Dad's daily driver - modded L99)
    1957 Chevy Nomad (Mom's cruise car - LT1/4L60E)
    1971 Chevy El Camino (Dad's cruise car - 406ci/510hp)
    2001 Chevy Silverado x-cab sb (son's daily driver - 4.8)
    2007 Chevy Silverado x-cab sb (son's daily driver - 5.3)

"Leavin' off the transbrake at a stoplight near you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie Junkman View Post
    OK .... I couldn't wait until tomorrow .... so I dove in tonight after work ...
    Now I'm just pissed off and frustrated ....

Got rid of all wiring for the alarm, looked at all the wires and no signs of damage, put it all back together ... no change!

Still doing the "no start" in various tilt-column positions (mostly 'up') ....
    Still doing the "start and die" routine (actually hadn't done it for about 1-1/2 weeks .... until now) ...

And, the "theft deterrent" light keeps coming on sporadically .... whether its idling in the driveway or driving down the street ...
    And, if the theft-deterrent light is on while driving, the turn signals and hi-beams don't work ....
    Tried reseting the theft system, but it never seems to work like the instructions I read on the internet say ... turn switch on, theft light stays solid ... wait 10+ minutes and it never goes out .... ??????

So ... short in the column ... bad ignition switch .... ?????
    I can't believe a 4-yr-old truck with only 52K miles would be having these problems .....
    But they are driving me FREEKIN nuts ....
    The problem with the theft light on while its driving means that the PassKey 3 system is working when the truck starts but failing again afterward. When my wire was disconnected and only working with my park lights on, the theft light would come on and computer-controlled systems wouldn't work. Since the new trucks use the computer for the turn signals rather than a physical flasher, that would be a computer function. I would double-check all wires, and failing that I would suspect the ignition switch or some part of the wiring for the switch.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

pmf608 ..... when you say it is a "computer problem" .... which computer?
    The ECM, PCM or ????

Here's another interesting tid-bit ....

The tilt column has 5 positions in total .... for the purpose of this conversation, let's call the top or highest psoition #1 and the bottom or lowest #5 ...
    With the truck in park and the truck idling ...
    - If the column is tilted into the top position (#1) or the next one down (#2), after about 3 seconds, the theft deterrent light will illuminate (solid)
    - If the column is then tilted to the lowest position (#5) or the second lowest (#4), after about 3 seconds, the light will go out.
    - The middle position (#3) is the best. If the light is on and you move the column into position #3, the light will go out after about 3 seconds. If the light is out, and you move into the #3 position, the light will come on after about 3 seconds.

I'm really starting to think there's a short in the column .... and again, with the theft light coming on when driving, the turn signals and hi-beams don't work ... but as soon as the light goes out (on its own, for whatever reason), everything once again works as normal.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The computer I was referring to earlier is the Body Control Module (BCM). The wire that got cut on my truck must have wired in-line with one of the truck's data wires. When this happened, pretty much everything that is controlled by the BCM would not work if the truck was off, or would not respond to turning the truck off if it was running. It was convenient that I could make everything work normally by turning my lights on, but if I turned them off, the theft light would come on, unknown driver would appear, and everything computer controlled would shut down or stop responding. If I tried to start the truck without the lights on the theft deterrent would kick in and shut it off.

Granted, the wiring on the 2007+ trucks is different, but this sounds like you're having the same kind of problem - data wire is shorting or not having good continuity, computer shuts down, theft deterrent kicks in, truck won't start (or if it's running computer functions don't work). Since you said it has an add-on power window kit, it would have less indicators of a computer shutdown then mine. Out of curiosity, when the theft light is on (truck not working properly) do the interior lights work?

Anyway, my GM service info program doesn't include the newer trucks, so I can't tell you exactly which wires or colors to check, but I would look near moving parts and look for wires that go to the ignition switch. It really seems like you have either a short or a broken wire somewhere.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12