GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Default 98 K1500 5.7L Suburban Rear Main Seal Leak

Looks like the rear main oil seal is hemorrhaging. I have kept an eye on it for a while now. But have seen a dramatic increase in oil loss recently. I have seen single piece and two piece oil seals sold for this engine. Do any of you guys know if the seal used in the 5.7L of the late 90's was two piece or one piece?
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

all sbc 87 and newer had 1 piece rear seals, bbc went to 1 piece in 91 along with the 6.2/6.5
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

Should be one piece...
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joeairforce View Post
    Should be one piece...
    And that sucks, two piece are a piece of cake to change compaired to one piece, good luck.
    Terry

Legend
    Blog Entries

Talked to a local garage today that is highly recommended. The guy discouraged me from doing it because he said I would spend a lot of money and it may still leak. If I furnish the seal, I told him I would because I have a thing of GM OEM parts, he quoted me $400. What do you guys think? Is that a reasonable price and what would you do? The engine runs great and I would not hesitate to drive it to the west coast and back tomorrow. The only issue is it leaks oil to the point I usually need to add a quart between changes. I have never seen smoke come out of the exhaust on this truck. I do plan to have the compression checked before the oil seal replacement just in case. But regardless, the engine runs too good to need an overhaul or replacement. I am thinking I have at least another 100K which would put me at 350,000.

At the price he quoted you it's worth gambling on.
    It's hard to find and replace a good truck and you know you'll pay a heck of a lot more to replace the truck.
    I always say better the devil you know than the one you dont know.

Sr. Engineer

Try it yourself nothing to it ..drop drive shaft.. Pry old seal out.. Make sure you clean all good .. Check for burrs ect. On drive shaft.
    Start new seal in ..get a flat board ect. Peck it in till flush.. Reinstall shaft your done.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    Try it yourself nothing to it ..drop drive shaft.. Pry old seal out.. Make sure you clean all good .. Check for burrs ect. On drive shaft.
    Start new seal in ..get a flat board ect. Peck it in till flush.. Reinstall shaft your done.
    I think it is the rear main oil seal in the engine, not the transmission.
    To change the rear main oil seal you would need to remove the transmission and the flex plate/flywheel, and you may have to lower the oil pan, I would think $400.00 would be a great price.
    Terry

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by TMair View Post
    I think it is the rear main oil seal in the engine, not the transmission.
    To change the rear main oil seal you would need to remove the transmission and the flex plate/flywheel, and you may have to lower the oil pan, I would think $400.00 would be a great price.
    Terry
    My bad ..... the main rear seal ... now that is a horse of a different color. 400 is a great price. I would watch.. do not see a garage of any rep doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    My bad ..... the main rear seal ... now that is a horse of a different color. 400 is a great price. I would watch.. do not see a garage of any rep doing this.
    And that is good advise, I would also make sure, perhaps in writing, that they warrenty their work.
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by